//some 3rd party need geo

start up menu ???

raggy 2 20:56 18 Nov 04

Hi
can anyone advise me how to stop programmes starting up when my pc boots up, as it seems to take forever lately as i am waiting for certain programmes to finish loading before i can do what i want, i know to some of you its basics so please excuse my ignorance.
Raggy

VoG II 21:00 18 Nov 04

Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK. Then look on the Startup tab. Untick the ones that you don't want to load at startup.

You may not know what some of these entries are. Post back here to find out if they are safe to disable.

We all had to start learning somewhere and most of us still are. You'll pick up a lot if you just "lurk" here and read how othyer peoples problems are solved.

andrew-196854 21:02 18 Nov 04

are you on xp if so do this click start then run type in the box this msconfig you will see another box appear called start up click that and untick the programs you don t want to start up carefull not untick the one you really want though hope this helps

Tenacious Green 21:27 18 Nov 04

Try this. Its a little more friendly and a lot easier to understand.

click here

Just make sure your online when you hit 'Consult' and it will give you an explanation of each item and suggest whether you need it or not.

Hope it helps

raggy 2 21:46 18 Nov 04

Thanks VoG
here goes
bridge
cmesys
realsched
mm_tray
msbb
set hook
ivofyd
bargains
mmtask
monitor
DDCactivemenu
smc
qttask
conscorr
how does all that sound, are thay all needed

VoG II 21:51 18 Nov 04

You are riddled with spyware! Download Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

Update them then scan and let them delete eveything that they find.

woodt 23:37 18 Nov 04

Do as Vog says straight away. Another very good little prog for keeping tabs on what is running on your PC is Startup Control Panel from Mike Lin

click here

griffon 56 23:39 18 Nov 04

Hi Raggy2,
I read a while back that if you were running 98SE all you needed at start up was 'Scan Registry' and 'Systray' with the option to run the Office Toolbar as well. I did this and found the machine started up a lot quicker and no ill effects were suffered. I don't know about XP. Concur fully with VoGtm about spy catchers, download and run 'em ASAP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…