start up keeps relaunching

2020 22:13 03 May 09

Hi I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my nephews laptop Acer Aspire 7000 running win xp. on start up it launches the desktop but this then sarts to keep reloading, with the icons disappearing and then reappering. The mouse works and i can launch and play from windows media player, however the sound is distorted and i hear a crackling sound on startup. I have tried to connect up to an external screen but after a minute it reverts back to the laptop screen. I did boot on in safe mode and during this time the external screen worked. I could access all the items so methinks its an issue with the display/screen? could you please what do try?
thanks

Geeksy 22:49 03 May 09

Have you scaned the laptop with AV and Spyware software?

Whats specs of laptop?

2020 00:22 04 May 09

Hi Geeksy
i cant get access or load any spyware programe to the laptop. was thinking of trying a reboot but then i'd wipe everything wouldn't i?

phono 01:06 04 May 09

"was thinking of trying a reboot but then i'd wipe everything wouldn't i?"

Not with a reboot, do you mean reinstall by any chance?

A complete reinstall of windows will wipe everything but an in place upgrade/repair install should leave everything intact.

You could also try a check of the system files click here have your installation CD to hand as you will be asked for it

2020 10:22 30 May 09

hi back again and trying to have another go. i cant run anything including the system files check. can't understand why i can't keep the connection to the external monitor.

birdface 10:30 30 May 09

Download this pay for program.You get a 30 day trial and if it ask's for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan.It will remove anything it finds not like some programs that want paid first.
You will be able to update and run all of your security programs then.

click here

birdface 10:49 30 May 09

Maybe a system restore in safe mode to a time when it was running ok.Or maybe try Device Manager to see if there are any problems on there.

2020 11:11 30 May 09

Hi and thanks buteman, downloaded software but it won't read reports error reading REFLIST.DTA
i have tried successfully running it on another computer. i am running laptop in safe mode as i can't get access in normal mode...what next??

birdface 11:56 30 May 09

Just wondering if it could be a driver issue.If you start in safe mode there are less drivers that start.Maybe see if you can run Driver Max on it .Its free.Your security programs should work in safe mode have you tried running them or the system restore to another date or does that not work either,
Or maybe disable your add-ons and see if that helps.
You realy need someone with a bit more experience to give you some help.I am Ok with the easy things but I am just guessing here.

2020 13:14 30 May 09

Hi buteman, advice so far has been sound. I have done a restore and its all going again but still no joy with the trojan remover. but i will fiddle with the suggestions made.
many thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…