Start up, how do i control which programs load up

blacksamurai 14:35 19 Nov 03

I need to know the answer so that i can stop the dial up task box from loading and requesting connection to the Internet. I am not aware of other programs that have been enabled to connect to the Internet.

All help appreciated.$

Jester2K II 14:40 19 Nov 03

Autoruns click here

lpl56407 14:53 19 Nov 03

Check 'Internet Options' in Control Panel.
Under the 'connections' tab you have 'dial whenever a network connection is not present' checked.
Uncheck it.

hugh-265156 15:01 19 Nov 03

click here

check what the programs listed as running at start up actually are click here

rawprawn 15:59 19 Nov 03

Go to Start/ Run & type msconfig, click on the start tab and untick any programs you don't want to start when you boot.

plsndrs3 16:03 19 Nov 03

I use Tuneup Start Up Manager click here

Skippy88 16:33 12 Mar 04

Can I stop TransTask and ctfmon.exe?? When I start Win XP Home the desktop loads quickly but if I put my mouse over the taskbar it takes ages before I can do anything! I'm trying to identify which processes are running un-necessarily but I am unsure what I can stop from running and what is vital! Help Please.

Diodorus Siculus 16:44 12 Mar 04

click here
Spybot-S&D click here

Two spyware checkers which are worth running.

ctfmon - ctfmon.exe - Process Information

Process File: ctfmon or ctfmon.exe

Process Name: Alternative User Input Services

Description: A service that handles the Alternative User Input Text Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar. It provides text input support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

Company: Microsoft Corp.

System Process: Yes

Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No

Common Errors: N/A

Skippy88 17:18 12 Mar 04

Have used Spyware Blaster and everything is OK. Just not sure if stopping these two processes ( ctfmon.exe and Transtask ) will make PC unbootable or cause more problems??

GaT7 18:33 12 Mar 04

1. ctfmon.exe - Not required if you don't need these features: CTFMon is involved with the language/alternative input services in Office XP. CTFMON.exe will continue to put itself back into MSConfig when you run the Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Control Panel are enabled. (taken from click here)

2. TransTask? - Do you have a program called Tweak-XP Pro installed? If yes, I think TransTask is part of that program & disabling it may undo any customisations you might have carried out.

This maybe helpful too - interesting article for cutomising/optimising Win XP - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…