Start Up Help

TeenyCaskiex 23:31 12 Jul 07

Computer switched itself off the other day when i was on it. first reaction was to turn it back on. As i turn it on the first normal screen comes up with Toshiba in red. Instead of going to the loading windows but then i get a message saying
'we appologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectantly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose last knowen good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose start windows normally. ( It then gave me 5 options. . . )
Safe Mode
Safe Mmode With Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt
Llast knowen good configuration (your mopst recent settings that worked)
Start windows normally.

I tryed 'start windows normally' and it didn't work, so then i tryed the others and got to the loading of XP screen and the loading green bar got up to about a third of the way & then the computer just cutus out as if there has been a power cut & from then just automatically keeps restarting itself & gets to the same loading screen & it restarts itself again everytime. Please Advise If You Can thank You x

Jak_1 01:40 13 Jul 07

How old is the computer and what operating system are you using. usual reason for a computer switching itself off is a psu failure, less common is a virus.

birdface 07:48 13 Jul 07

Try tapping F8 when you start your computer and see if it will start in safe mode that way,If so you could try last good configuration or system restore.

TeenyCaskiex 10:58 13 Jul 07

The Operating System is XP and it's about 2 years old (laptop).

birdface 01:44 14 Jul 07

Dear buteman, TeenyCaskiex xxxxx( sent you the following message from the pcadvisor.co.uk discussion board.

Forum: Helproom Thread: Start Up Help click here Date: Fri, 13/07/2007 | 23:01 Message Hi you responded to my enquiry about the start up, and i tryed your suggestion of tapping f8 and then when it went into the advanced menu, i went into the disbale automatic restart on system failure and that started the laptop up & instead of restarting itself it took me onto a screen with a blue backround & white writing and it said ' a problem has been detected and windoes has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. if this is the first time you have seen this stop error message, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps: disable or uninstall any antivirus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. technical information: *** STOP : 0x 00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8131E248, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000,)' Once this comes up, the computer stops responding like so when i click a key nuthin happens, the only way to get it away is to restart the laptop & then instead of starting normally it goes back to the very first start up menu with safe mode, safe mode with network etc. Then when i go to start windows normally, the loading screen comes up once again gets about a third of the way loaded then cuts out again. Pleasee Advise :) & I've tryed all the other options on the F8 Menu, but then again it still keeps restarting itself. I Think the computer may have a virus and i don't understand how it expects me to uninstall or remove the anti virus wares if i cant .Hi, Sorry about this. But if you post it on here you have a better chance of getting the proper help.It is a bit complicated for me,And hope someone else will give you the proper advice.

birdface 11:24 14 Jul 07

Hi.You never actually said whether it will run in safe mode or not by tapping F8 at start up.Will any of your programs run,Last good configuration or system restore.If you were able to disable automatic restart You should be able to run other programs.

TeenyCaskiex 11:36 14 Jul 07

Nope It Didn't Work :s. & Any Other settings wouldn't work either. Just Kept Restarting The Laptop.

birdface 12:06 14 Jul 07

Hi,Sorry I can't help.But I am sure there are folk on here that can.Just a matter of waiting till they come on.

Andy1991 12:26 14 Jul 07

Try this, Boot from ur Windows XP CD, and press R when u are in that nice little blue screen, then when it gets into the recovery console type the number responding to ur installation and press enter then type the administrator password for it. Normally is Blank unless changed, so, just press enter.

Now type FIXBoot
and confirm any message that it says like are u sure, well, that would be YES. Type Y to say Yes, and N to say No. then press enter. once it has done that try to reboot then.

Andy1991 12:28 14 Jul 07

Oh, before reboot, type exit to make it reboot then quickly take the CD out of the drive.

Andy1991 12:31 14 Jul 07

When i said R, I meant that that should get u into the recovery console if its another letter then use that, it would normally tell u on screen. In other words just follow the onscreen instructions to get into the recovery console then once u did that Fixboot thing and it did not work Then if that does not work then boot into your CD again and opt to do a repair install of Windows XP, that would normally do it. I just like to make usre my instruction are right and that people can understand them.

buteman, i respect u for trying, thats all we can all do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…