Start up Freezing

Astrid 08:19 25 Nov 08

I've noticed lately that when I boot my computer, usually a.m. my operating system, Windows XP, SP3, freezes at a certain point so that there's a blank screen with just the frozen cursor. When I restart it boots up okay, but sometimes this occurs twice before a successful boot up. I have no viruses and no memory problems and as far as I can work out no special software problems. Should I simply accept as a quirk of my computer, or is there anything I can investigate?

Les28 10:12 25 Nov 08

Might be worth having a look in Event Viewers Application and System tabs to see if there's anything that might give a clue. Double click on things marked Warning or Error for the relevent times.

That's click Start, then Run, then type eventvwr and OK, or Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:21 25 Nov 08

If the "blue bars" are freezing this could be a driver problem.

try updating drivers

and a repair of XP will not hurt.
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Astrid 10:36 25 Nov 08

I've carried out the eventvwr and the result is: many errors in Application, also errors in System, which appear to be 'disk' - but what next? I don't want to do anything to make matters worse. I still have to carry out the other actions recommended. Thank you, so far...

Les28 10:52 25 Nov 08

The warnings and errors in event viewer did you get the Event ID number when you double clicked on the warning / error, is it Event ID 51.

Astrid 11:27 25 Nov 08

The event ID is 1001, sometimes 1001/2/3/ and so on. I did the sfc/scannow and was asked to put my disk in, which I did. However, as it was scanning the files I was called to the phone and when I returned it was all over with no message. Does this mean things are more or less okay with the disk?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:57 25 Nov 08

However, as it was scanning the files I was called to the phone and when I returned it was all over with no message. Does this mean things are more or less okay with the disk?

Yes It will have replaced any corrupt files

Les28 13:11 25 Nov 08

Make a note of the Source as well as the Event ID number in Event Viewer and check here

click here

but they may not have anything to do with your problem as I think we all get these errors/ warnings from time to time and no problems.

Have you had a look in Device Manager to see if everything looks OK there and checked out drivers as Fruit Bat mentioned. Hopefully sfc may have sorted things out.

Otherwise a clean startup in msconfig's Startup tab, restarting with just one extra item at a time, offline if your stopping your Antivirus.
Maybe deleting PF prefetch files in Windows prefetch folder in case of any corrupt file there, or maybe using Ccleaner to Delete old prefetch data. Also maybe run windows error-checking utility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…