Start up fails

Woodman2 13:17 20 Oct 08

I use Secunia and there was an advisory message to update my IE7. I clicked on Solution and it went into a very long download time that greatly concerned me as there were no other apps apparently functioning at the time.
I had to switch off the machine at the mains to close down and since then my PC will not start up normally.
I use XP3,Firefox and IE7.
I can get to safe working so I first tried to get a full scan done with my AVG Pro but the Command line would not accept the avg scan line
I checked the Command entry was working by checking with regedit - that was accepted, then I tried scan disk and restarted.
Whilst the list of partitions was scrolling it stopped with a line that read:
TRAP.......0000006......EXCEPTION
tr=0028 cro=80000011 cr20000000 cr30039000
gdt limit=03FF base=0003F000 idt limit=07FF
base=0003F400 .....and 4 more lines.
Can anyone help me please?

birdface 13:30 20 Oct 08

I don't think AVG works in safe mode .Have you any Anti-Spyware programs that you can run.Or maybe just a system restore to a time when the computer was working Ok.

Woodman2 13:30 20 Oct 08

I have just read this article in PC Advisor:

October 17, 2008
Windows 7 to get 'Instant On' feature?
Microsoft experimenting with super-fast start-up

Elizabeth Montalbano

As they are sending it only to certain subscribers have I become part of the experiment I wonder?

birdface 14:00 20 Oct 08

Windows 7 is not out yet.It is going to be the New version after Vista.So not sure if they are doing trial versions.They did with Vista.

woodchip 14:46 20 Oct 08

Window 7 is a different thing to IE7.

woodchip 14:48 20 Oct 08

If you can get into Safe Mode, Why not run System Restore to before the Problem

Woodman2 16:42 20 Oct 08

Thanks for letting me know the difference in Windows.

I did System Restore as my first move but there was no change in starting up.

The AVG webpage gives the command line instructions as C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8 and run avgscana when it should scan automatically.

I thought I may be writing the command lne incorrectly that`s why I tried regedit but avgscana brings up a line that says it is not accepted as an instruction

Woodman2 06:01 24 Oct 08

I`ve solved my problem by using my Recovery repair disk!
The problem symptoms became very complicated and this was my last attempt at a cure before a full reformat.
I`m not sure why the situation happened in the first place but obviously some files were corrupted and the disk corrected them. Thanks all for your suggestions.

I`ve solved my problem by using my Recovery repair disk!
The problem symptoms became very complicated and this was my last attempt at a cure before a full reformat.
I`m not sure why the situation happened in the first place but obviously some files were corrupted and the disk corrected them. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Closing now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…