Start up error Help needed

peterleemaxwell 16:24 21 Mar 07

Win XP pro AVG Anti-Spyware (all up-to-date).
Went to start my PC as normal after a normal close yesterday and when the windows XP logo should appear a blue screen did with the text:-
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, re-start the computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:-
Check for viruses on your computer.
Remove any newly installed hard-drives or hard-drive controllers.
Check your hard-drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard-drive corruption, and the re-start your computer.
Technical information: ***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8C91528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Would anyone that has seen this before and knows how to get round it please help. Thanks.

VoG II 16:36 21 Mar 07

click here may help.

peterleemaxwell 16:49 21 Mar 07

Thanks VoG™ I have not added any hardware and I'm at a loss after trying all the usual F8 then safe mode + last good configaration and still no way out. Never seen this screen in all the time I have used a PC.

provider 2 16:54 21 Mar 07

Found this recently, but it may not apply to your problem:click here

peterleemaxwell 16:59 21 Mar 07

Thanks provider 2
Lots of reading there, may help others as well.
Always handy info.

keef66 17:04 21 Mar 07

what antivirus were you running on the pc?

keef66 17:07 21 Mar 07

what happens if you restart the pc with your windows XP disc in the drive?

I'm thinking that a repair install might fix it without losing your data.

peterleemaxwell 17:10 21 Mar 07

Hi keef66,
I'm running an up to date AVG version. As to the XP disc I have not got a copy. I'll try to borrow one to see if that works.

peterleemaxwell 19:36 23 Mar 07

I regained use of the PC using a XP disc. It has left the desktop as it was although I have no de-frag at all as I used another prog for this that is now in-op. The cause of all the trouble I found on having to reload AVG was a list of Trojans and viruses as long as your arm. Strange how it disabled an up-to-date AVG to place themselves on my PC. There are a few programmes to re-install. The appearance has changed in so much as I had a XP theme of blue when I used it before and now when I go to desktop-display properties the choice there is only for 'Windows Classic Style/Standard Windows, and the choice of colours minus the blue? Strange. Anywhere I can regain my previous type of set-up?

keef66 22:47 23 Mar 07

go to the microsoft website and download tweak UI. You can restore various bits n pieces using that, but I'm not sure about missing desktop colours.

peterleemaxwell 11:55 24 Mar 07

keef66,
Strange, after a battle to get rid of all the viruses and Trojans and re-stated after several windows updates only to find after getting the all clear from various progs, that AVG is now again been knocked out from starting. Any other 'Freebie' virus checkers that you could recommend? Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now