start up - disk checking. wont complete

westgolf 19:32 PM 30 Oct 12

When I start up my desktop goes directly to disk-check. it cannot be cancelled (as the screen says it can) it then stalls forever at , journal verification completed.I cannot progress from there.I am running W.7. All seems to have gone wrong since update to AVG 2013(which i had to do). Running very slowly since that. malware scans show nothing - but now - cant do anything ? any help please. Thanx.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 PM 30 Oct 12
  1. Open the Start menu and type "cmd" into the search box.

2. When, the program, cmd appears, right-click it and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu. If Windows asks for permission to run the command prompt , click Continue.

3. Once the Command Prompt has been accessed, type chkntfs /x C: (where "C:" is the letter of the drive that is scheduled.

Note: Check Disk will not run when the computer is restarted.

woodchip 19:50 PM 30 Oct 12

Can you start using Safe Mode tapping F8 or F5 as its booting. If you can you may be able to do a Restore

westgolf 15:25 PM 03 Nov 12

Thank you for this, safe mode did the trick, amazing how slow the pc has become since update to avg 2013 (free). so dissapointed & the pop-ups are ridiculous, many thanks to fruit bat & woodchip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…