start-up disc

pppc 07:13 10 May 04

I am proposing to re-install Windows, a task I have performed successfully before. Being of a cautious disposition I checked my start-up disc first.
I rebooted from it, selecting 'Start with CD-Rom support' and was told the available drive is F.
But when I attempt to read it ('CD F:') I get "CDR101 not ready reading F". The Windows CD is in the drive. Attmpts to read other drives - eg G lead to 'Invalid drive'

I made another start-up disc with 'Add/Remove Programs' with the same effect.

Both floppies contain OAKCDROM.SYS. I have two Hard Discs and three 'CD' drives, the first of which is a DVD drive. I am currently running W98, which I used to make the new Start-Up disc.

As I said, I have successfully done this before, and I thought I used the floppy I used last night, but I clearly am doing something wrong, or have forgotten something. Can any one help please???

Diodorus Siculus 08:11 10 May 04

Try a boot disk from bootdisk.com - it may be a missing file on your current disk.

pppc 18:30 10 May 04

Diodorus

Thanx for response. I downloaded the floppy for W98SE and tried all four drivers - all with the same result.

Unless anyone can think of anyone else I have to consider problems with my CD - though it works quite happily in Windows - and get a man with a screwdriver to look at it.

Meanwhile I'll try the floppy on a friend's machine.

keith-236785 20:07 10 May 04

to change to the cd rom, just type the letter of your cdrom and :

ie at the prompt A:>, type

F: +press enter

the prompt should change to F:>

then type

setup +press enter

to start windows installer.

cd is the command used to Change Directory and is used to switch between directories on the same drive. maybe typing (cd F:) is confusing DOS and it is trying to find the folder F: on drive A:

canard 21:13 10 May 04

When you do this the drive letter is apt to move on one. So might be worth a try reading E.

woodchip 21:16 10 May 04

What is your CD dive letter when the computer is working

QuickHare 21:49 10 May 04

As I see it, your floppy disk gets the drive letter A:. Your harddrives are given letters C: upwards (one for each partition) and then a RAM Drive is created to house the "diagnostic tools" in. (A RAM Drive is also called a Virtual Drive). This 'drive' has the next letter up. After that, each CD drive is given a letter, but not necessarily in the same order. Windows can change letters on some computers.

Also, with two harddrives (I assume two physical drives, not two partitions on one drive), and three CD drives, 2+3=5, 5>4 so maybe the drive you popped the CD into is not on an IDE channel, and hence does not get read?

Try putting the CD into the other drives and check them, or use each drive letter, by typing "X:" (where X is the drive letter you try) followed by enter, and no quotes. then type "CD \", then finally "DIR", all with an enter afterwards. Do this until you find the words "WIN98" or "WIN9X" as a folder, and the CD starts whirring.

pppc 22:50 10 May 04

THANK YOU

I am seeing my CD when it is the final (normally 'F') drive!!. I'm using the floppy I got from BootDisk.com, which labels the drive 'R'.

Now to try the reinstall on a friend's machine - which has only one cd drive anyway.

PaPERMAN

One of the funnies was that it will not let me change directory - it goes to D:> etc but immediately reverts to the A drive.

Thank you all for you interest and assistance - very much appreciated.

PeterC

woodchip 22:58 10 May 04

When you use a Ram drive floppy disc it changes the CD-Drive letter like from D:\ to E:\ and so on until the OS is loaded then drive letter reverts back to normal

hugh-265156 23:07 10 May 04
  QuickHare 13:30 11 May 04

Bootdisk.com might be a good place to go for boot disks, but it is worth creating one from your own computer to make sure it will work.

To do this, click here to find a quick, non-technical five step guide to creating a boot disk.

All you need is a standard 1.44Mb floppy disk, available in almost all computer shops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…