//some 3rd party need geo

Start-up CD for Win-ME

anchor 14:08 22 Aug 03

A friend has a notebook without a floppy drive.
He has Win-ME and would like a CD boot disk, similar in function to the boot floppy created during Win-ME installation.

Could I burn a CD for him, by just copying my own Win-ME boot floppy onto the CD?. Would this work, and has anyone tried it?.

He could have this with him when travelling, instead of having to always carry the original Windows CD. He knows that he would have to set his bios to boot from CD drive first.

Jester2K II 14:15 22 Aug 03

Could I burn a CD for him, by just copying my own Win-ME boot floppy onto the CD?. Would this work, and has anyone tried it?.

Probably won't work.

Using software like Nero and Easy CD usually has an option to make a Boot CD - however i believe its best made on the PC its to be used with so it has the right drivers etc.

anchor 14:27 22 Aug 03

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately he has not got a CD burner, (only a reader), on his notebook.

Basically, all he wants is to able to start it, and access his hard drive and CD-Rom, via dos.

jazzypop 14:35 22 Aug 03

click here

Assuming that you will be burning the CD for him, it would make sense for him to backup all his drivers using click here and email / transfer them to you for inclusion on the CD

woodchip 14:58 22 Aug 03

yes it would work

anchor 17:06 22 Aug 03

Thanks all for your input.

I tried doing it with Nero, following instructions for creating a boot disc, but no success. I have just tried using Easy CD Creator 6, on a friends machine and all went well. I have tested the CD, and it works!.

Strange that I had problems with Nero, and the Adeptec worked.

Jester2K II 12:45 23 Aug 03

I stand corrected.

Must admit it failed when i tried it once even with Easy CD 5. Might try again...

woodchip 13:52 23 Aug 03

Just copy the files from the Start Floppy disc on your ME machine to a CDR, and it will boot do not format the CDR

woodchip 13:55 23 Aug 03

PS why is is he doing that as it should start strait from WinME CD

Jester2K II 14:02 23 Aug 03

"He could have this with him when travelling, instead of having to always carry the original Windows CD"

anchor 17:05 23 Aug 03

As I said, I had no luck with Nero, (version 5.5.10.28). I tried many different ways, but only ended up with coasters. I followed their instructions to create a boot disc, but it did not work.

I desperation, I went over to my friend, and we tried using Easy CD Creator 6. We followed their directions, and all went well. Curiously, there are only 2 files on this new boot CD;

Bootcat.bin (2Kb) and Bootimg.bin (1440Kb)

The source was my own Win-ME floppy which has something like 30 files.

This method should be suitable for other versions of Windows, prior to ME. I seem to recall something being mentioned in the Easy CD creator version 6 "Help" about a Win-XP boot disc, but I did not study it; (being only concerned with ME at that time).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…