Start button missing on Vista home premium.

Koochy 00:19 30 Sep 07

All of a sudden my start menu button has disappeared i don't think i have done anything out of the ordinary but i am open to any advice.
I have tried a restart but nothing else.

rdave13 00:58 30 Sep 07

Not knowing any better,try, right click on the taskbar, click properties, click start menu tab and make sure start menu button is clicked on; then click on the apply button and click ok.

mrwoowoo 01:01 30 Sep 07

I'm not 100% sure that this is true,but have read it several times on various sites.
If you have a non geuine version of vista there is a specific function in Vista that effectively disables non-genuine copies of Windows. Therefore anyone who has a pirated copy of Vista will experience:
A black screen after one hour of browsing
No start menu or task bar
No desktop.

Koochy 01:02 30 Sep 07

just tried that thanks, the radio button is highlighted for start menu so i changed to classic menu and back again but the button still isn't there.
Thanks again for the suggestion though

Koochy 01:05 30 Sep 07

I still have all the other bits you mention, if i click on the task bar where the start button should be then the start menu appears and i have all the functions as normal just no button.
The copy of Vista i am using is the one that was preinstalled on the lap top when i bought it from new so that shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the input. Any other ideas welcome.

brundle 01:08 30 Sep 07

Change theme, reboot, change back?
click here

rdave13 01:09 30 Sep 07

Try a system restore. Works better than XP.

Koochy 14:00 18 Oct 07

Thanks all for the help i don't know how but the button just re-appeared by itself.
Sorry about the delay in getting back i have been away and haven't had internet.

K

dkimbell13 07:42 24 Oct 07

I had the same problem...
The START Button Icon would randomly disappear. I found out through searching the Web that by killing the explorer.exe process in Task Manager and then starting it back up by using Run command in Task Manager that the Icon would come back. Pretty much stopping and restarting Windows Explorer.

Since I have no ideal when they will fix this glitch, I went ahead a wrote a simple batch file. Contents as follows if you wish to make your own...

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
explorer.exe

Copy/Paste it to an new text file and rename the text file to Restore_Start_Icon.bat

Run Batch file and your Icon should reappear...

P.S. make sure its called Restore_Start_Icon.bat and not Restore_Start_Icon.bat.txt

-Dominique

Halmer 08:46 24 Oct 07

For some reason the icon vanishes from time to time from my desktop but the text below it remains. It always reappears when I next boot up. Strange!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…