Start Button Detached from Tasbar"

jambolino 15:09 24 May 04

I have just done a clean install of windows XP Home on a brand new PC using software bought from a well known High street retailer, However there is nothing in the taskbar at the bottom the "Start" button on the left has become detached and is in the middle of the desktop and all of the system tray icoms are shown as Icons on the desktop.

Apart from this everything behaves as it should-clicking on Start shows programs etc and clicking on the clock opens the Date and Time Properties Box.

I Reformatted and reloaded Windows but exactly the same thing happened again.

Never seen anything like this, ideas anyone??

AndySD 15:20 24 May 04

Nope... try running the System File Checker

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

gudda96 15:21 24 May 04

Hi jambo

Try l/c and drag items to taskbar.

failing that, try r/c on taskbar and see if its locked or r/c on icons to see if anything in menu can help you.

i am sure some of the experts on forum will solve it quickly.

jambolino 15:38 24 May 04

Tried all the above, you can drag the Start button around the desktop and click on it, you just cannot drag it onto the takbar,I Run SFC and everything seems OK,there are no system or memory conflicts and all devices Graphics/Sound/CD Rewriter perform as they should.

I Just cannot see how this could be corrupted files as this was a new install fro a new packaged CD, absolutely nothing else apart from windows had been loaded onto the machine, there was no internet connection or e-mail set up so the possibility of a virus is zero.

AndySD 15:45 24 May 04

Try changing the theme in Display properties... does this fix it?

jambolino 16:05 24 May 04

Tried changing th theme to "windows Classic"
still the same????

canard 17:47 24 May 04

click here This did the trick with Win98Se- mould it perhaps help with XP?

canard 17:50 24 May 04

click here Or save yourself a lot of reading and go here direct.

jambolino 18:44 24 May 04

Tried all the above still no good. I can move the Start button around the desktop to my hearts content, I can even drag it into another folder,

Is there some obscure registry setting that dictates where in the GUI the start button and system tray functions should load when windows starts? or is this something that is defined by the windows source code.

If some one could point me in this direction maybe I can compare on another machine.

Graham ® 19:32 24 May 04

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders (I think!). Mine are all '%USERPROFILE%'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…