start bar

flaz1984 12:12 04 Nov 03

hi everyone

i was wondering if how to get rid of some of the programs which are always present on the bottom right of my start up bar. There is about 18 programs running all of the time, will this effect my computers performance?

James-286079 12:20 04 Nov 03

Open Registry Editor by typing "regedit" in the run box in Windows.
Click file, export registry, entire registry and type a filename. This backs up your registry in case you mess up.

Navigate to
Delete the strings that you are SURE are the ones that open the system tray icons. You should be able to identify them by the name.
Do the same for

If you delete a program you need, just double click the file you created and click yes.

Also, check the Start>Programs>StartUp folder and delete any unwanted shortcuts from there.

Hope this works...

powerless 12:37 04 Nov 03
  Taran 13:04 04 Nov 03

With respect to the above, I'd avoid editing the registry if you can get away with alternative methods.

The link provided by Powerless is a good start.

I'd recommend that you download and install the free Startup Control Panel from Mike Lin's website:
click here

It gives you a lot of control over what is happening on startup and is considerably easier to use than MSCONFIG

powerless 13:06 04 Nov 03

You didn't scoll down did you in my Click here? ;-)

wizkidwall_03 13:15 04 Nov 03

just go to run type msconfig click startup tab top right unclick any programs you don't want this doesn't delete any programs just stops them from loading at windows startup

Taran 13:19 04 Nov 03

You're right, I didn't !

I got as far as the MSCONFIG instructions and, well...

Bites tongue and hangs head in shame...

flaz1984 19:42 09 Nov 03

sorry about taking so long to reply
ive tried wot you guys said and all has worked well.

thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…