start up

pat2068 20:24 18 Feb 04

everytime i start my comp i get an info message that file DCFSSVC is not found i know it is to do with my camera how can i stop the message from comming up everytine i start thanks leo

plkiojh 20:41 18 Feb 04

You dont give too much away, but if its been from some bit of imaging software, it seems likely the aforementioned software initiates at start-up.

Go to RUN - type msconfig - click the Startup tab. Now if your rogue program is there, simply remove the tick from the box beside it; reboot. If this is software you use regularly, just open it when you want, not when your computer does. Hope this helps.

pat2068 20:51 18 Feb 04

i have a kodak easyshare camera and i belive it is that but i dont know what the rogue program is in the list the kodak is not sellected on start up thanks leo

plkiojh 21:03 18 Feb 04

if you still have the packaging the camera came in (also a software disc that it presumably shipped with) it should tell you the name of the program or software associated with your particular camera.

Also, if you are running Windows XP, and you know when the problem started, you could try a system restore. Back-up any important files you may need before doing this though. You wont believe how many people I know who do system restores wihtout backing up!
Alternatively try uninstalling the imaging software and re-installing it.

temp003 06:04 19 Feb 04

The file is dcfssvc.exe, which could be in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder (for XP) or check C:\WINDOWS\system folder (for 9x). It should also be somewhere in your program files. Try C:\Program Files\Common Files\Kodak\Hydra_dr folder.

You don't want to delete the file but you definitely don't need it at startup.

If you can't see it in msconfig, then try Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel click here download, install, go to Control Panel, Startup icon, go through the tabs. If you see a reference to it, just untick it.

pat2068 18:41 19 Feb 04

i have looked in nsconfig i have also downloaded mike lin's start up but it is not there i have uninstalled all my camers software reinstalled it updated it form kodak web site but still get the message that i dont have the file thanks leo

pat2068 20:44 19 Feb 04

anon1 20:58 19 Feb 04

it is probably in the win.ini
start/run type sysedit then look in the win ini and see if it is there. If it is delete it. But first have you tried starting the computer with the camera attached and on?

pat2068 21:58 19 Feb 04

i have just started the conp with the camera on and it was ok i have also looked in win ini i have also done a search but the file is not there any more help please thanks leo

pat2068 22:27 19 Feb 04

temp003 03:36 20 Feb 04

What OS are you using?

Another file which may call for dcfssvc.exe is ptssvc.exe (Kodak's picture transfer software).

I don't suppose you'll find reference to that either in msconfig or Mike Lin's startup control panel.

A few more places to check.

If you use XP, click Start, Run, type services.msc and press Enter. See if you see any reference to Kodak, PTSSVC or DCFSSVC. If you're not sure whether an item is the one you're looking for, double click it and under the General tab, should see "path to executable". See if it refers to either file. If so, in the "Startup type" box, change it from Automatic to "Manual". Click OK. Don't set it to "disabled".

Or, Click Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter to open Registry Editor. Be careful and do not make any rash changes.

On the left, navigate to HKEY Local Machine \Software \Microsoft\ Windows\ Current Version.

Scroll down to see if there is a key called RunServices. If so, highlight RunServices and look on the right to see if any item refers to either file. If so, right click the item on the right and select delete. Confirm the deletion.

Check also if the key HKEY Current User\Software\...\Current Version\RunServices exists and whether any item refers to either file. If so, delete.

[The other registry keys which contain startup items would have been shown in msconfig or startup control panel, so no need to check.]

If none of these steps locate the source of the startup, and you use XP, click Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter.

Under System log and Application log on the left, look for error messages after your last startup and see if you can find the related error. If so, double click the item and read what it says. See if it refers to the source of the problem and post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…