Stardownloader - beware!

Morz 20:38 07 Jan 06

for what it's worth & as a word to the unwary ....

Bit of spyware in this - so the man in the repair shop told me after I'd put PC in dock due IE not working right - not changing to next page.

He said it was due to SDIENT.DLL and cleared prob by uninstalling prog.

Anyone else had this?

Big Elf 20:50 07 Jan 06

Star Downloader Free version 1.43, rubbish. I've used this for over a year and not had any problems. MS Antisypware, AdAware and Spybot have never detected a problem with this software and neither have i been infected with spyware, virii or anything nasty.

Talking out of his ................

ACOLYTE 21:25 07 Jan 06

I cant comment 1 way or the other as i have never used this app,if its a download helper and it sounds like it is would go for this click here no spyware or anything else included best i have ever used.

GuZ><0r 21:30 07 Jan 06

What do the download helpers actually do?

GuZ><0r 21:31 07 Jan 06

Don't worry anymore. I read it.

ACOLYTE 21:33 07 Jan 06

They help if you have a big file to dload and you cant finish it off in one go,you can carry on from where you left off and dload from more than 1 source,and not start again from the start,maybe they are better for dial up users but they can help BB users too.

Big Elf 21:36 07 Jan 06

Star Downloader is completely safe to use.

Big Elf 21:38 07 Jan 06

From click here

Morz 21:56 07 Jan 06

Big Elf - Not so adament please I am quoting the man who fixed the prob - Starshite dumped prob gone.
Like you I've used it for long enough - for last 5 years, but, differently, I'm also prepared to listen & learn

Big Elf 21:57 07 Jan 06

So am I. I'm happy it's safe to use.

Big Elf 22:36 07 Jan 06

I don't have a dll on my PC with anything resembling something like SDIENT.DLL

An unqualified response like this passed on second hand from a 'man in a repair shop' who is not necessarily an 'expert' could put off people from using a perfectly respectable bit of software.

The phrasing on the few hits I got on Google suggest SDIENT.DLL was included in spam/infected emails related to ebay. Maybe opening infected an email caused the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac