Star XB24-200

Spud022 13:17 10 Sep 07

We have recently purchased a Star XB24-200 Dot Matrix to print invoices on, using a pc which has vista on. However, whatever I do I cannot get it to print. We have also purchased a USB Hub as we have run out of USB ports. Although to eliminate this I have tried to connect it directly to the PC. As there appears to be no supported drivers for this pc and vista, we have tried to use a generic driver and an Epson driver. The pc says that it has sent the test page, but nothing prints out. When I look in the print queue it gives the job name but then has error next to it.

I am Spartacus 13:21 10 Sep 07

What's the error message? Have you set it up to emulate an Epson FX80?

I am Spartacus 13:28 10 Sep 07

I'm not sure you're going to get Vista driver or emulation for a dot matrix using a USB port, Parallel port maybe?

Spud022 21:46 10 Sep 07

Thanks for the advice - will try your suggestions in the next couple of days! I seem to think I have tried an Epson FX80 and I am not sure that the laptop has a parrallel port!

Spud022 19:39 12 Sep 07

OK so I have tried emulating an Epson FX80 and I have tried setting it up with a parrellel printer cable from the printer to a usb port replicator which has a parrallel port on and I am still not getting any action from the printer! Dippy question I know but when I set it up shoudl I set it up with a LPt1 port or usb? Any other suggestions? Unfortunately I do not have a parrallel port directly on the laptop.

I am Spartacus 20:00 12 Sep 07

Again, I don't think a USB to Parallel port replicator would work either. There's probably only a slim chance it would work on a standard Parallel port anyway.

For my sins I have to maintain our dot matrix printers at work for our Financials system and although I don't have much technical knowledge I do get involved a lot in trying out various 'solutions' most of which don't work.

I am Spartacus 20:08 12 Sep 07

Do you have to use a dot matrix if it's only for printing invoices or is that it's hard coded into your financials package?

Spud022 00:10 14 Sep 07

No, we don't need to use a dot matrix. The only reason we wanted to was so that we can print invoices / del notes in duplicated format. At the moment we are using an ink jet and printing out two copies which is proving rather expensive cartrige wise! We are using Sage and I can adapt the layout of the report to suit the paper. We are a new start up business and wanted to look more professional than we do now! We opted for pre-printed stationery which is compatible with Sage and a dot matrix thinking this is the right way forward. However, with all the hassle so far I am wondering if we made the right decision.

Do you print duplicates? How do you print them?

Many thanks for your help so far, it is really appreciated.

I am Spartacus 00:38 14 Sep 07

We use them to print Payable Orders as we were told by the Bank of England that they we had to have an 'imprint' on the Cheque. We don't print duplicates.

A laser printer would be a cheaper (and better supported) print option at around 1p per sheet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5