Star Wars Jedi Knight II-Jedi Outcast Freeze probs

Giggle n' Bits 21:45 30 Jan 05

Ok, I posted similart the other night but I have tried updating the AGP card. I am running XP with DirectX 9c SP2, AMD AthlonXP, 2x 256MB Memory, 64MB MX440 Nvidia AGP x4, ECS Elite K7S5A v3.1 Motherboard with SiS Chipset, Erh Onboard audio.

There are actually 3 games that wont run but I wish to concentrate on just one this Star Wars first.

I have read on the back of the box that the system requiremnts for Audio is 16 Bit DirectX 8.x
compatible sound Card.

Reading the Manual for the M/board it says Audio Chip a A797 compliant (CMI) 2.2 Specification, supports 18 Bit ADC & DAC and 18 Bit Stereo full duplex codec

Is there anyone here in PCA Forum land who could help and possibly tell me would the different between 16bit Audio & 18 bit sound like this is the problem ?

The problem is when playing the game, about 3 - 5 mins into the game the audio stutters and the PC locks up total and no CTRL etc keys work.

Any help to resolve this problem would be very very appreciated. Other games with identical problem is Quake & Unreal T 2003, Patches from these sites have not worked.

citadel 22:58 30 Jan 05

The mx440 is a poor graphics card and will struggle with a lot of games.

Giggle n' Bits 23:07 30 Jan 05

reading the bit about the Audio would you think that 16bit v 18bit would make any differece or cure this problem if I had a dedicated sound card

If I changed the AGP card to a FX5200 128MB would this possibly fix the problem ?

citadel 23:23 30 Jan 05

I do not know a lot about audio but sound has not caused me any problems in gaming and I have used onboard sound untill recently. The fx5200 will be better than what you have now.

Giggle n' Bits 23:34 30 Jan 05

so I will be off line for a while.

gudgulf 23:36 30 Jan 05

I don,t think you should have any problems with Unreal Tournement 2003 on your system but don't know about the other two.What I will do is try UT2003 and Quake3 on my system tomorrow as I have both those games (but have not tried them with SP2 installed).I will post back if they play ok or not.In the meantime have you tried running the games with the onboard sound disabled? If they run ok then it is not expensive to get a basic pci soundcard from places such as click here .If not then we are looking for another reason for your problem such as overheating.I think it would be a good idea at this stage to take the side off your pc case and make sure all the fans are spinning and there is no build up of dust and fluff around the ventilation holes and in the cpu heatsink.

Another thing you could try is a driver set from Omega Drivers instead of the Official NVidia ones as these tend to include a number of fixes and optimisations that might help you get good gameplay (I've used these for ages for my ATI graphics cards and NVidia too) click here

gudgulf 14:49 31 Jan 05

I've now tried both UT2003 and Quake3 on my own pc (3GHZ P4/x800pro/1.5GB ram SP2 with Omega Catalyst4.12 graphics drivers )and they both play perfectly well.I realise that the graphics card is a high end up to date model though so I am going to put my backup card in Nvidia mx420 PCI version.This card is much inferior to your mx440 but based on the same directx7 spec.If this can play them yours certainly will.

Giggle n' Bits 14:57 31 Jan 05

Games just seem to be so fussy. I will be back later.

gudgulf 14:46 01 Feb 05

I've now tried my Mx420 pci card (in a 2.4GHz P4 with 512MB of ram) using the same 61.7.7 Nvidia drivers that you have and Quake3 runs extremely well on it.UT2003 also runs very well which surprised me a bit as we are looking at a card that struggles to outperform onboard graphics----Which tells me that you should easily be able to run your three games on you present card with XP SP2. I did discover however that Quake3 occasionally crashes the pc I used when I put its usual ATI 9600 pro back but only after about 20 minutes of gameplay.I haven't been able to check this out further yet but it doesn't sound the same as your problem.

A bit more information about your pc and the work that was done to it might help,for example when you say the pc has recently had a new hard drive was this the main system disc? And if it was has the new one been reformatted and reinstalled from scratch? I would also like to know what operating system you were using before and if you have other games on the pc that work because I notice that the three that don't are all openGL games and I'm wondering if that has a bearing on the problem particularly if the graphics card is more than a couple of years old.One last thing ,do the games crash your system immediately you try to start them and do you get any error messages displayed?

Giggle n' Bits 21:11 01 Feb 05

I repaired the machine myself, I am a system builder/engineer & never in 3 years have I found a problem that I couldn't identify or fix.

I replaced the DVD drive with a new Asus ATA100 support 616P DVD Drive, a new IBM 7K80 80GB ATA100 IBM, Upg 1x 256MB PC133 SDRAM, re-seated the motherboard becuase other person not fitted all screws or standoffs to case.

The kids have eaten away the PS/2 ports on mouse/keyboard with keep changing/moving things around but they both work.

I have run a DVD for 4 hours with no problems, Audio is fine. The only thing I have regognised is in system info screen ref audio fail.

This problem, imagine you have Win98/98SE or ME and you are playing a Audio CD then press CTRL-ALT-DEL key. this stutters the music while you have the Close Prog dialog box up. Then close the window and its fine.

But on the machine with the problem, you can get about 2 - 5 mins into a game after the intro's and the sound stutters, and video/display freezes, CTRL-ALT-DEL no use or ALT & F4 etc nothing. only chance to get into Win is reset to re-boot.

I am going to run a memory test and HDD test but do not expect to find anything. I will then try the FX5200 AGP 128MB card, I have a PCI audio card but may not be compat with XP O's and will have to get one tomorrow.

Thanks for calling back and all the time you spent on trying the different config's. I say again this is the first time I have ever been beaten and it may or may not a soloution staring me in the face but we will see.

Oh, and no error's, just the horrible struggle of the music passage ekk ekk ekk.

Giggle n' Bits 22:36 01 Feb 05

I have looked at Virtual Memory in XP Home OEM SP2
and it is set as follows. Can you or anyone check theres preferably if they haven't customised it. I am trying to establish if the Game or some idiot has changed this without me knowing.

There are 2x 256MB PC133 SDRAM DIMMS Total 512MB

There is NO Onboard VGA.

I have tried the FX5200 AGP Card and the better the card the quicker this problem happens

settings are:-

Initial Size 768MB
Max Size 1536

Recomended 766MB
Allowed 768MB

Still yet to run the mem test.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…