Star Trek Encyclopedia version 3 and Windows XPSP2

burgerbern 23:16 26 Oct 04

Help

has anybody managed to get Startrek Encyclopedia ver 3 to work under Windows XP Home with Sp2. it ahd been working but now i just get a messsage that the CD rom cannot be found even if i install it afresh and do not take it out of the drive, i have spent a few hours trolling the net trying to find a fix but cannot even find a webpage that will take credit for the program, i can run it on another machine (Win98SE) but i prefer it to run on this main machine. The drives are fine all other programs have no trouble, it worked under Win XP but this is first time tryed to use since flawless SP2 Update.

thanks in advance

Bernard

Giggle n' Bits 23:31 26 Oct 04

possible that the CD is damaged and your drives cannot acces/read the CD. Only way to tell is to try another machine to see is friends drive can access the CD.

Who makes Startrek Encyclopedia ?

I found it was by Grolier and aslo found refrence to Macintosh, must be more than 1 version.

Have you tried for a test turn off Pop up Blocker in the Internet property setings & Firwall. Re-boot pc then try it.

Also go into my computer then open the CD Drive which the CD is in and double click on the Start.exe icon

burgerbern 23:55 26 Oct 04

Thanks blueEye's

CD is perfect, mine always are, it works fine in the drive as i am able to install the program, the problem occurs when trying to run it afterwards. it works perfectly in the win98 machine but that one is used by my wife and i prefer it to run on the one i use.I found the two manufacturers references for it but i think the one i have was originally put out by Simon & Schuster. your post did give me an idea though, i was running from the DVD drive "P", so i tried it in the CD/RW drive "O" and it works fine.yet all my other encyclopedia's and reference works work fine from the DVD. PC's are strange things

thanks again

bernard

Giggle n' Bits 00:05 27 Oct 04

like you say pc's are very strange things. Mind of there own at times.

dagwoood 02:01 27 Oct 04

:0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…