Standby will not work???

JJ123 13:32 08 Nov 03

Hi

I am having trouble with the Standby Option in the shutdown Menu.

I recently downloaded a windows xp update from the Microsoft windows update site. It said after the download that it would need to restart which I did. However when my computer tried to restart it got half way through the start up process before it stopped and all there was, was a blank screen. After a minute it restarted it self and the same thing happened, it got stuck with just a blank screen before restarting itself.

I tried fixing it using safe mode, as well as other options in the f8 menu at start-up but nothing worked until I gave up and used the XP recovery disk I got with the Laptop. I did not do a full recovery but a partial one so I could try to keep all my files. This seems to have worked with only one problem. The standby option does not work anymore. It is ?greyed out? in the shutdown menu and the hotkeys that used to work will not work now.

The system restore does not work at the only saved seems to be after the partial recovery.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem with out completing a full recovery of windows Xp.

Thank You

gold 47 14:14 08 Nov 03

As you have tried everything to restore your computer and has failed todo so it looks like you will have to do a full reinstall of your OS.
Myself i have have given up on these never ending XP updates as you don't know if they are going to work as you have now found out to your cost.
In my view XP is flawed it must be by as i said never endind updates.

JJ123 15:37 08 Nov 03

Thank you for replying to my message

I think you are right, I will have to do a full restore.

gold 47 16:06 08 Nov 03

Hang on a bit longer as there might be someone on the forum better in IT than myself, i have just done a XP reinstall took 15hrs to get my computer up and running make shure you install SP1 that is a must.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…