standby problem

Franky Lemonhead 10:55 30 Jun 03

I have recently sold my old Packard Bell PC to my girlfriends Dad. So that I can remove all the rubbish my girlfriend and me have built up over the 3 years I have had it, I did a rebuild. This went fine and I re-installed the graphics card with no problems, which is the only thing I have added to the machine.

The only problem that they are having is that when ever it goes on standby there is no way to get the computer to start up again, no matter what you do, so they have to re-start it. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and how to stop it happening? If it is useful it is running ME.

Thank you.

sil_ver 11:27 30 Jun 03

I had a PBell some years ago which had a similar annoyance which, if memory serves, was caused by Norton antivirus which was part of the master CDs it woudn't let you boot to DOS either. when I re-installed without it everything worked ok. Other than that I can only think it might be a power management thing.

bof:) 11:59 30 Jun 03

have you tried turning off the standby option? Or increasing the time set before standby is activated?

In win98se it's in control panel > power management.

Set to home/office and set other options for a longer time or never.

Mike

bof:) 12:00 30 Jun 03

also, does this problem still happen if you take out the new graphics card and put the old one back in?

Franky Lemonhead 12:48 30 Jun 03

Thank you for your responses

I have taken the standby option off till i can find a way of stopping this from happening. The problem is that my Girlfriends little sister has a tendency to use the computer and then just leave it on for 12 hours till she wants to play her game again so it would be better for it to go on standby rather than just the screen saver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…