standby problem

jimmer409® 20:25 14 Sep 04

Hello all running xp home sp2, have a problem wih standby, sometimes when i try to go to s/b, the computer just freezes, sometimes it goes to s/b okay, but when i try to restart, i get a blue screen which i never have time to read, and than it goes into full (normal) reboot, than get and error, bccode 1000008e bcp1....etc., anyone out there have any ideas? help greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:42 14 Sep 04

check power management settings in control panel and in BIOS.

jimmer409® 17:14 15 Sep 04

thanks, fruitbat, not sure what you want me to look at in the bios and power settings?

Stuartli 17:40 15 Sep 04

Are you using Hibernate or Standby.

Some older motherboards don't always support Advanced Power Management.

If you reboot your system and hit Delete on the first screen (this is usually the method) you will go into Setup.

Most likely screen to open will be Chipset Features Option - scroll down using the arrows and look for Power Management. Ensure that it is Enabled for User choice.

Note how you can then Save Changes and follow the instructions to come out of the Bios. Your system will then continue booting.

Check out the Hibernate and other power management features from Control Panel>Power Management to see if it has been configured to your requirements.

jimmer409® 19:36 15 Sep 04

thanks stu, using standby, think i may be able to make something out of this if i could read the blue screen, but it just flashes up for a few seconds and than the system reboots. does anyone know how to halt boot to read the screens one by one??

Stuartli 09:10 16 Sep 04

If you press F8 on bootup, you will go into the screen giving various choices, including Safe Mode and Command mode.

Select the boot.log choice and this should help to pinpoint which area is causing the problem.

It's a while since I did this so you may just have to work out which is the correct number in the choices list to choose - there's a timedown as well IIRC...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…