Standby Mode no longer active

tallboy 09:18 28 May 09

Following a recent re-installation of Windows XP on my 2001 Mesh Althon PC, I had to install the Ali Ultra IDE Driver to get my 300GB hard disk to work in the Ultra DMA mode. (Without this driver it was doggedly stuck in the PIO only Mode. See click here for further info on this problem and the fix for it.)

Whilst the PC now works fine at the speed I expected, the Standby Mode is 'greyed out' and hence cannot be used. Apparently this is a 'side effect' of this installation and there is a fix for it by making changes to the registry. However, I don't know what these changes are.

If anyone knows how to restore the Standby Mode, I would be very grateful to know how to do it.

PO79 11:52 28 May 09

Maybe some help

click here

tallboy 15:59 28 May 09

Thanks for the quick reply and link PO79. I checked the registry entries as per the info from Nepatsfan and I did not have any subkeys higher than 5 - so that bit of the registry was as it should be.

I also tried the registry fix from Kelly-Korner (I have used this site before), but alas, that did not fix it either.

Hopefully other readers will have further suggestions.

Ashrich 22:43 28 May 09

You need to load the graphics drivers again , preferably the latest ones for your card , that will bring back the Stand By mode again .

Ashley

tallboy 09:04 29 May 09

Thanks for the tip Ashley; I need to do that anyway. I did try doing that earlier this week (after using Pareto Logic's DriverCure s/w to identify out of date drivers.) However, the driver found by the software obviously wasn't the right NVidea driver as I ended up with a blank screen! I then had to drop back to VGA Safe Mode to uninstall it and then let Windows find the original 2001 driver after a re-boot.

If you know a particularly 'accurate' driver-checking application, please let me know. Once I find the correct up to date NVidea driver hopefully the problem will go away.

Ashrich 22:57 29 May 09

Rather than use a driver checking utility I generally just have a look inside the PC to see what I need , remove the card and get the necessary info from it then go to the manufacturers site and get the correct driver .

From a date of 2001 I would be surprised if service pack 2 for XP didn't have a driver built in .

Ashley

tallboy 08:39 30 May 09

A good point Ashley. My PC is up to Service Pack 3.

I just checked in the hardware list and indeed the driver XP has installed after going through the VGA-only mode is NVidea version 6.14.10.9371 dated 22/10/2006 - so that could already be the latest.

Incidentally, the 'removal' of the Standby mode happened before my last attempt to update the driver (i.e the ALi Ultra IDE Driver that caused the problem was already in place) so uninstalling and re-installing the graphics driver may not cure the problem. Anyway, I'll do as you suggest - take the board out, get all the data off it and search the manufacture's website for a post-2006 driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…