Standby function not available

bpzoom 16:23 25 Mar 06

XP Home SP2, Gigabyte motherboard. The standby option is greyed out when Start, Close down etc. Under Control Panel power options, there is Minimum Power Management which is enabled. No mention of standby. The Bios shows Power management enabled. Anyone know why Standby seems to be not available?

howard63 07:56 26 Mar 06

if you right click on the desktop - properties and go to screen saver then power. If you have never in all the boxes this could stop standby activating.

bpzoom 13:25 26 Mar 06

Thanks, but that is the same as Control pabel. Power Options etc. All it tells me is that I have Minimal Power management set, with switch off times for Drive and monitor. It does not offer stanby, which is greyed out when I click Start then close down etc.

howard63 14:16 26 Mar 06

have you looked at your bios power options?

Marsh Warden © ™ 16:33 26 Mar 06

click here and scroll to bottom. As howard63 says it looks like you have it disabled in your BIOS, or your BIOS may not support it.

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:16 26 Mar 06

Don't know if this will help but worth a try
click here

bpzoom 16:27 27 Mar 06

Thanks, but Bios power option is enabled not disabled. Neither of the other two links made any difference. Perhaps the Bios does
not support standby?

rsinbad 19:06 27 Mar 06

found these quotes:-
Do you have a pagefile on your system volume at least as large as
your installed RAM? Do you have Standby enabled in the Power
Options? Certain installed devices will not let you go into
hibernation. Included are some USB keyboards and mice.

I once had this because of a PCI device driver that was not XP or 2000
compatible. Apparently XP knows if a PCI driver cannot support standby
and then disables the option. Since you say all your drivers are the
latest try disabling any add-on pci cards from device manager and
reboot. If standby comes back then enable them one by one until you
find the culprit.
hope they help

bpzoom 21:17 27 Mar 06

RSINBAD, thanks, that sounds interesting I will follow up on what you have suggested. Many thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…