Stand-by -v- Shut-down

Elderslie 11:36 10 Apr 04

Having powered up my computer in the morning then left it to return to it later in the day. When should I Stand-by rather than Shut-down and vice-versa. Or (regardless of cost of power) could I just leave it on all day? My OS is Windows XP Home.

Indigo 1 11:45 10 Apr 04

XP does not need to be shut down unless you are installing updates or programes..

Standby allows the PC to be permanently connected to the web for Broad Band so it is always ready.

Leaving it on all day uses a little extra power and the temperature stays the same while standby lets the temps cool off a little and uses less power.

Some argue that it is better to leave your PC on (or on standby) than keep turning it off and on because the hardware suffers from repeatedly heating up and cooling down and can cause your CPU some damage, heat causes it to expand and cooling causes it to contract. Others will argue that manufacturers have taken this into account when designing it.

I leave mine on and let it go to standby after 2 hours of no use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…