stand by,turn off?

podlod 08:54 11 Aug 09

Hi, I hear so many reasons to do either of these things, one is to > Turn off when finished with my PC or > place it in stand by or Hibernate, which is best? bearing in mind I do have something which is called START UP DELAYER when I start up again from shut down which eases the drive apparently. Thanks for any help.

gazzaho 09:17 11 Aug 09

this post will help you out I think click here

podlod 11:13 13 Aug 09

Thanks gazzaho, I am still wondering what to do, decisions, decisions, what to do????????

woodchip 11:21 13 Aug 09

At the End of the Day Turn Off. Stand by is like leaving a TV on Stand By, Hibernate Creates a Backup File to Restore so will not drain Battery as much to keep in there. Not sure but think that Hibernate File is lost if power is removed. Turning Off lets the Computer Sort its self out if its got its nickers in a twist without you knowing it

gazzaho 15:14 13 Aug 09

As far as I'm aware standby will loose data if there is a power failure, hibernate saves all data to disk, if power is removed the data is stored on disk and will be applied the next time power is returned.

podlod
Using standby or hibernation will start your computer faster than from a cold boot, you can get to the desktop in seconds instead of minutes. The choice is yours to make, but as I said in the other post it's recommended to restart every now and then to avoid memory fragmentation through constant use.

BRYNIT 15:57 13 Aug 09
  podlod 09:11 16 Aug 09

Hi, I want to thank all of you for your quick response and have decided to stay as I am and switch off when finished, thanks again for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now