Stand By problems in XP

twitcher 23:12 20 Dec 05

A friend of mine has a 3 year old Compaq Presario computer running Windows XP. He is having problems with putting his computer in “Stand By” mode. In about 2 out of 3 times, when he uses the “Start, Turn off Computer, Stand By” function the computer freezes necessitating him turning off the computer and restarting. He has no other problems, the "Shut Down" and "Restart" functions work normally.

To try and help I installed the “Shutdown.exe” utility to see if this helped, but the same thing happened. I also tried running another utility, “PSShutdown”, which I use, but exactly the same problem occurs.

Has anyone any idea why this is happening?

User-312386 23:16 20 Dec 05

Is system restore turned on?

twitcher 23:35 20 Dec 05

Yes-permanently turned on.

Stuartli 23:39 20 Dec 05

Has he checked the Bios settings to ensure that the correct APCI has been chosen? Sometimes, on older mobos, requires a jumper to be altered.

In addition, if possible, Hibernate use would be superior to Stand By as it saves all the settings before shutting down and reopens at that point; any problems such as a power failure when on Stand By could mean trouble...:-)

twitcher 00:06 21 Dec 05

No he hasn't, neither he nor I are experienced at adjusting BIOS settings and I would never in 1000 years attempt to alter a jumper.

I did, however, put him a shortcut on the desktop to "Hibernate" the computer and suggested that he use this whilst I research the "Stand By" problem.

Perhaps, as you suggest, he should continue to do this although I would be interested to find out why the Stand By facility doesn't work.

aca 07:25 21 Dec 05

Dont know whether you have seen this, but has helped me with similar problems. Worth a look.

click here

Stuartli 08:59 21 Dec 05

>>put him a shortcut on the desktop to "Hibernate">>

I presume by this that you mean you configured the system to Hibernate - the "shortcut" should appear in the Turn Off Computer panel?

twitcher 10:46 21 Dec 05

Thanks aca – duly noted

Stuartli – There are only three options to shut down on my version of XP (Home edition), ie “Stand By”, “Turn off” and “Restart”. I set up a “Hibernate” option on the desktop using the following shortcut:- “%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState”

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…