Stand by

larry48 18:02 17 Jan 04

Recently had to re-format my HD, and now PC won't boot up fom Stand By. I'm running XP Home. Any ideas?

howard60 21:16 17 Jan 04

right click on a blank section of the desktop and click on properties. click on screen saver and then on the power button. take the tick out of the box in allow hibernation.

larry48 18:15 18 Jan 04

Done that, but still won't boot.

georgemac 18:51 18 Jan 04

check the monitor cable is properly connected. Do you see the POST test details on the screen when the computer starts, and what are you trying to boot from, a floppy disk or cd-rom? If you put in the XP home cd it should boot from there and let you reinstall.

larry48 07:33 19 Jan 04

I'm not trying to boot from a floppy or CD. Just want the PC to start from stand by. I don't have an XP CD 'cos its' an OEM version. Just have restore disks., and having just re-formatted, I don't want to do it again 'cos it takes forever!!

georgemac 07:40 19 Jan 04

if you have reformatted the hard drive, there is no software left on your hard disk so the pc cannot start.

What did you do with the restore disk? I have never used one, but I imagine if you boot from the restore disk it will reinstall windows xp for you.

Post exactly what is happening when you start the PC.

Why did you decide to reformat the hard disk in the first place, and how did you do it?

larry48 07:56 19 Jan 04

PC works fine apart from not starting from stand by. It will only restart from shutdown. I normally leave it on stand by so it starts faster. All software is re-installed and working normally as far as i can tell. I reformatted 'cos I hadn't done it for about 12 months, and the PC was getting slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…