ssv.dll

Matress_of_evil 23:53 25 Oct 07

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me?

Since last week, my browser (Internet Explorer 7) has been really slow at starting up. At first it loads up incompletely, without the google toolbar, the status bar, or the classic menus. It stays like this (And occaisionally completely stops responding) for anything up to 2 minutes, then IE continues to load.

Once it's started, IE runs fine, but it never used to take this long to load up before now. It does this with every instance of IE that I run.

I disabled all the addons then re-enabled them one by one to see what the problem was, and found that an addon called "ssv.dll" was the cause.

ssv.dll is listed as "SSVHelper Class" and is a "Browser Helper Object" published by Sun Microsystems Inc.

I made a screenshot if anyone wanted to see the addon:

click here

I've also found that a Java-based chatroom that I use to speak to my friends in America no longer works when I disable this addon. I really need to talk to them on Saturday so I need to solve the problem as quickly as possible.

Does anyone know how I can get Internet Explorer 7 to work again properly? Thanks for your help in advance! :)

pac73 00:14 26 Oct 07

Hi,i think ssv.dll has got something to do with Java.

pac73 00:16 26 Oct 07

Go to Run,and type in msconfig.And click on the start up tab.See if theres something in there that you dont need to run at start up.

lotvic 00:46 26 Oct 07

It seems to be a common problem click here=
Maybe changing to Firefox browser would help

lotvic 01:10 26 Oct 07

according to click here it is a bug 'In Progress' - guess that means present and they are working on it. It is a conflict with other dll's and was reported on 7th Aug 2007

java sun forum click here

birdface 08:16 26 Oct 07

Try.Tools.Manage add ons.Enable or disable .If you have ssv helper.Sun microsystems.Browser helper object. Disable it .Close IE7 and then reopen it.See if IE7 works any quicker.This would only be a temporary fix.As there are some java files that have to be deleted.But I am off to the sunny Costa Del Clyde for the weekend.Mind you I am taking my Brolly with me.Looks like I am going to need it.

Matress_of_evil 11:07 26 Oct 07

Lotvic, thanks for that first link!

I followed the instruction, and when I opened my Downloaded Program Files folder, there were FIVE copies of "Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0 listed - and four of them were in the error state. (Yellow shield with a black exclamation mark)

I deleted each of these faulty files (And each time I was told something like "there is not enough information to completely remove this file. Please check for further information in add/remove programs") then opened IE7.

It loaded straight away. I then checked my addons and three Java addons were disabled. I enabled all three of them, and restart IE7 - and it loaded fine.

Again, thanks for the link, lotvic, you solved my problem! :D

lotvic 23:38 26 Oct 07

Brill, glad it's sorted :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…