ssstars.scr trying to connect, spyware/worm?

aca 23:28 28 May 06

ssstars.scr trying to connect spyware/worm?

I usually use Firefox but when I launch IE I now get a Sygate warining that ssstars.scr is trying to connect.

I havent done anything to Sygate. I understand that the sssstars is a screensaver but its never done this before.

advice appreciated.

running XP SP2 (+Spyware Blaster/Avast/Ewid0/Adware/Spybot)

skidzy 23:31 28 May 06

Type this
into click here search box it may help.

ade.h 23:34 28 May 06

I ran a search to see if there were any malware files that echo this filename (a common practice) but nothing clearcut came to light. But unless it is malware, I can't imagine why it would be trying to dial out. A genuine scr file would not be able to, never mind need to. Can you track down its path by doing a Windows search? If it is malware, it's likely to have installed in somewhere other than the normal location for the genuine file. Then run a scan with A-squared and Ewido.

aca 07:46 29 May 06

thanks. I'm not having any problems with hibernation etc. also XP is fully updated

will try your suggestions.

aca 09:23 29 May 06

Found 4 files.

Ran Ewido, all it found was 6 tracking cookies.

But on starting IE now it just connects as usual without Sygate warning. Also I had set Sygate to block. Both lead me to believe that Ewido did the job.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:06 29 May 06

It's the Starfield Screen Saver located in - C\:WINDOWS\system32

Are you getting error messages about it, or is your homepage changing?

If so, you may have this:

click here

aca 13:57 29 May 06

thanks Fruit Bat. Had a look and dont seem to be getting any of the symptoms of that. I am running Avast fully updated, would this have picked this nasty up?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:10 29 May 06

Should have done its a pretty old virus.

aca 14:12 29 May 06

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…