SSDS a good upgrade or not?

mart7 10:39 26 May 14

For some time as prices of ssds have fallen ive considered purchasing one,i presume i would need to format the existing hd and reinstall win7 onto the ssd as id want to use it for my os

Any advice on this much appreciated Ive seen a 240gb model for under £100 but there seems to be a lot of variations in sppeed model price etc

click here

rdave13 11:04 26 May 14

Even cheaper at Amazon. For the price it's ok I think.

Some helpful info on setting up SSDs, here but I didn't use the tweak utility. Also I just lowered the pagefile values not disable it and kept the indexing working otherwise the libraries don't work.

Hibernation and pagefile.

mart7 11:46 26 May 14

Thanks surprisingly £10 cheaper on amazon,the links tell me a lot i didnt know

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:02 26 May 14

The only noticeable difference a SSD makes is in boot up time.

Menzie 14:26 26 May 14

I have an SSD in my laptop and desktop. On the desktop which has SATA 3 the difference from an SSD doesn't seem miraculously different. I'm not getting the 10 second boot times or the drive being so fast the BIOS just flashes by claims in videos on YouTube.

Instead my system boots noticeably faster and apps on the SSD start up quite quickly. Also my Windows Index score for the HDD has gone to a 7+ whereas before it was in the 5 region.

The laptop which is SATA 2 seems to get much more of a boost. I've come to the conclusion that it's because it had a 5400RPM unit in before and the fact that it has 2GB of system RAM. Either way boot times are significantly faster and the machine feels much responsive overall.

mart7 15:50 26 May 14

Cheers,all useful comments and advice ill have to find out if my motherboard is sata3 or not

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…