SSD's

wotbus@ 16:41 PM 23 Aug 11
Answered

Hi. I'm considering changing from a Raptor HDD to a SSD in the interest of performance. Do you treat them the same way as a conventional HDD; that is simply clone one to the other? Ideally the OS should be re-installed but that would be too labour intensive in my case. Thanks.

wee eddie 17:26 PM 23 Aug 11

Having just had a look at the latest Raptor's review, to my way of thinking, the only advantage of an SSD would be as home to your OS and the concomitant reduction in Start-up and Close-down times.

You could use it as home to selected Software as well but I can see little advantage, over the Raptor, in speed of Storage and Movie Making & Replay.

This is an opinion, rather than Fact Based Research.

sunnystaines 18:42 PM 23 Aug 11

not got one yey but thinking about it.

i understand you do not defrag but set the "TRIM" command and it woks in the background on its own.

put the O/S on the ssd and everything else on a secondary hdd. the useual helpers will come in with more advice.

not sure if its worth moving the page file.

wotbus@ 09:28 AM 24 Aug 11

Thanks guys.

What I wanted to know is do you simply clone them like you would an ordinary HDD or does file transfer have to be done differently.

PSF 16:53 PM 24 Aug 11

Alignment

Have a look at http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?79848-THE-BASIC-GUIDE-amp-FAQ-ABC-for-OCZ-SSD&p=567558&viewfull=1#post567558 It tells you the best way to set up an SSD. It is the best practice to do a fresh install to align the partitons, Win 7 and Vista do this automatically when you carry out the install.

gengiscant 17:09 PM 24 Aug 11

I'm with 'PSF' on this fresh install, in fact if you are only getting a 60GB SSD as I have then just the OS and programs ,about 100 at the last count with 16 and a bit GB still to play with then I find that its a relatively painless prospect to do a fresh install from time to time.

Everything else Steam (267GB of games) music, videos etc are on other drives.

wotbus@ 15:26 PM 07 Sep 11
Answer

OK guys, thanks.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites