SSD reliability

chub_tor 11:05 27 Sep 13
Answered

I have had a second failure of an SSD used for holding my Win 8 64bit OS. The first was a 90Gb Corsair and today's was a 120Gb Sandisk. Both were supplied by eBuyer who have dealt with the returns very professionally. When I got the 120Gb device I made it a practice to regularly clone the 90Gb unit and I am glad that I did - even though it was 4 weeks out of date it has saved a load of new programme installation. Just a few MS updates were needed.

I went to the SSD configuration purely for speed of bootup but I am wondering if this has been at the expense of reliability, previously I have always had a 1Tb regular SATA drive partitioned for OS and Data and over many years never had a failure.

Anyone else had SSD reliability problems?

Mr Mistoffelees 11:25 27 Sep 13

I have been using a pair of Crucial M4 SSDs for almost a year now without any problems. I have taken steps to help ensure reliability. As well as the usual no defragging, I have hibernate turned off and no pagefile (with 16GBs of ram It's not needed for what I do) to reduce writes and I have kept the firmware udated.

chub_tor 11:45 27 Sep 13

Mr Mistoffelees I also have defragging and hibernate turned off and no page file but I must admit I have never looked for a firmware update. Just to add to my post eBuyer Returns have passed me over to Sandisk Returns for speed of replacement but this may turn out to be a bad move. I have spoken to Sandisk and they agreed to the return but I have to send it to the Czech Republic AT MY EXPENSE. I am now back in negotiation with eBuyer about this - Sandisk forums are full of complaints. As the device is only 6 months old I will probably go back to eBuyer for a refund rather than a replacement. Looks like Crucial could be a better bet.

Mr Mistoffelees 11:58 27 Sep 13

I do think firmware updates are worthwhile, though I cannot comment on whether it would have helped with your SSDs. Early Crucial M4 firmware would stop the drive working after 5000 hours of use, a problem that was later fixed by an update.

rdave13 12:15 27 Sep 13

Crucial and Samsung seem to be the favourites for reliability from what I've read. I bought my reconditioned C300 64 gig Crucial SSD just under 2 years ago and it's done 5,138 hours and powered on 988 times. I updated the firmware to the latest version. It's showing 89% health. Estimated time of expiry is January 06, 2022.

rdave13 12:18 27 Sep 13

Crucial and Samsung seem to be the favourites for reliability from what I've read. I bought my reconditioned C300 64 gig Crucial SSD just under 2 years ago and it's done 5,138 hours and powered on 988 times. I updated the firmware to the latest version. It's showing 89% health. Estimated time of expiry is January 06, 2022.

chub_tor 12:52 27 Sep 13

As I said I have never looked for firmware updates for either of my SSD, presumably they are obtained from the manufacturer's website. Are they performed while the drive is installed with the OS or do they have to be offline for the firmware update? I might then look for a firmware update to this "spare" Corsair that I am using until I get a replacement from SanDisk.

rdave13 13:09 27 Sep 13

I had to download an iso file containing the upgraded firmware and burn it to CD. Booted from that and upgraded. Check the Corsair site for full instructions and warnings.

chub_tor 14:46 27 Sep 13
Answer

rdave13 thanks for the advice I will go to the Corsair site and have a look.

eBuyer have been most helpful regarding the return of the SanDisk unit and have agreed that it can be returned to them at their cost and they will replace it. Quite what with I am not sure as the model I have just sent back is no longer made. Next time I will look at Crucial.

rdave13 15:23 27 Sep 13

Doesn't appear to be so straight forward with Corsair. It appears you'll need to use their forum, link, and something called the Corsair SSD Toolbox. Whereas it appears easier on Crucial, link.

alanrwood 16:14 27 Sep 13

Had 4 machines with OSD drives fitted for over a year and no problems with any.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…