SSD Drive & Sata drive issues

Wulfrune 23:36 PM 03 Dec 11

Today I fitted a Crucial M4 256gb SSD drive to my computer.

I would like to say that all went well, but I'm here, so it didn't.

Firstly Acronis True image turned out to be of no use to me, so I ended up putting a fresh copy of Windows 7 on there. I ran the sata cable to the 6gb output port and connected to remain two large capacity drives to the Sata 3gb's. It didn't like that, no matter what I tried, I could not get the ssd drive to run with the 2 "2 TB's drives" in their sata homes on the motherboard. I CAN however, get drives to work via a docking station connected externally. Help anyone please?

Regards

Wulfrune

rossgolf 23:58 PM 03 Dec 11

check your motherboard manual and look for some information on the numbering of the SATA ports. IE, Sata0, Sata1 etc I remember something when i put my SSD in to do with certain numbers supporting certain things.

Worth a shot

rdave13 00:11 AM 04 Dec 11

Not an expert on this but the C: drive should be connected to the first connector numbered on the mobo. Sometimes numbered as zero and sometimes numbered one. Take a close look at your motherboard's details and make sure the SSD is connected to the right connection regardless of the transfer rate. If you have a sata cable rated as 6GB then that would help. Using an ordinary Sata cable reduces it to 3 GB but I think the motherboard should support Sata 3 for the highest tranfer rate and cable to suit.

rdave13 00:14 AM 04 Dec 11

rossgolf

Working out my answer while you posted. I agree.

Wulfrune 00:37 AM 04 Dec 11

Thanks guys, I'll hit the books then.

But, still welcome more comments

Wulfrune 01:44 AM 04 Dec 11

I am happy to tell you all that I sorted the problem out.... It was a "bios" issue.

All is working well, fast and well.

Thanks for the help people

Case closed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED