SSD for Dell Vostro 430

Peter Lanky 09:39 AM 13 Dec 12

I am trying to find out if anyone has tried to install a SSD on a Dell Vostro 430. I have tried to get some information out of Dell but blood from a stone would be easier.

I want to know if I can simply install a SSD and then reinstall Windows 7 Pro from my Dell disks, or whether Dell has hidden information on the original boot disk which is required for installation. I would have thought this to be a simple question for Dell to answer, but it seems not.

The recommended SSD from Crucial is a 128GB v4 @ £67.33.

xox101 10:21 AM 15 Dec 12

No reason why you shouldn't try. I have fitted quite a few SSD's now and reinstalled 7 and 8 with no problem. Disconnect your original disc from the motherboard before doing a reinstall. Windows sometimes sticks the reserved 100mb partition on the second disc instead of the boot disc.

Once you have Windows installed on the SSD go into the bios and change the boot order so the PC boots from the new install and not the old one.

Then copy over what you need from the old disc to the new one.

Make sure Defrag is turned off in the scheduler!

Peter Lanky 10:42 AM 15 Dec 12

That's useful thanks. What is the relevance of turning off Defrag? Does it suddenly kick in during installation?

Chronos the 2nd 10:58 AM 15 Dec 12

Turn off defrag after installation. Bit more info here.

xox101 11:26 AM 15 Dec 12

There is no need to defrag an SSD as it has it's own defragging software built in. Defragging an SSD will shorten it's lifetime considerably as each block can only be written to a finite number of times. Normal use will see the drive last for years though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know