SSC Utility in System Tray

thumbscrew 23:56 30 Mar 08

I've successfully removed several unwanted startup icons from my System Tray using both msconfig and the startup remover in Spybot. However, I have SSC Utility installed, which is a printer ink checker and cleaner.No matter how many times I untick it and reboot, as soon as I use it again it reappears in the tray and, somehow is back and reticked in the list. Can anyone advise?

Sorry havent got the utility,however is there an option within ssc, to turn off run at start up or similar?

thumbscrew 00:35 31 Mar 08

Thanks *Raven*, there's not that option in the configuration. It's like The Terminator...just keeps on coming at you!

rabadubdub 01:01 31 Mar 08

Best thing is to check the (printer?) manufacturer's website for the answer.

rossgolf 01:05 31 Mar 08

uninstall, reinstall, then if there is a option to run on boot while you are installing it, un-check it.

rabadubdub 01:10 31 Mar 08

..probably the utility manufacturer..
What is the point of having the utility though, if you're going to turn it off?
I personally don't believe in ink-checkers.. when the ink on the page starts getting lighter, you're running low. Manufacturers tell you to buy new ink after 1/3 is used just to panic you, helluva waste.
PCAdvisor did an excellent article on their practices a couple of years ago, so it may be on the site somewhere.
The printer's own software usually does the head cleaning, too, so I really don't get the point of this utility.
Regards,
Rab

thumbscrew 01:15 31 Mar 08

Thanks all...rabadubdub, it's got the ability to clean the colours individually and also has a more accurate ink display than the Epson program.

Chris the Ancient 09:30 31 Mar 08

I use SSC as well.

There is that untick 'Start utility at Windows start up', as you say. I had never really noticed that it came on again if you used the utility.

My way is somewhat lazier. In the taskbar properties, I have set SSC to always hide and then call it whwn I need it.

Not the answer, but a way of avoiding the issue!

jack 14:03 31 Mar 08

The function of the program is such that the icon in the tray is the active part of the program- where as the panel the comes up on the desktop is the ink monitor, and printer selector.
So a right click on the icon in the sys tray will bring up the various reset/headclean/ ink freeze options.
Only an uninstall will there for remove it - which I am sure is not what you intend.

dagbladet 14:11 31 Mar 08

Thumbscrew

I have also used SSC which as you know is designed by a third party for use with Epson printers. Having a low spec PC, I only turned certain utilities on as and when I needed them as opposed to running on start-up. I achieved this with SSC by going to;

start>run>msconfig>startup tab>untick SSC

thumbscrew 22:05 31 Mar 08

Thanks each and Jack, that makes sense to me and explains it. Chris The Ancient it's only hidden but still consuming memory albeit not displayed.dagbledet,that won't remove it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced