srescan.sys problem?

newman35 06:22 16 Apr 07

In the past few weeks I've had my computer shutdown suddenly, and a full page message telling me windows has been shut down to prevent damage. The problem seems to be caused by the file srescan.sys
It then proceeds to 'dump the physical memory' and eventually (after disk checks') returns to normal and I get a box saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error".
I'm not aware of having added any new hardware or software.
XP Home, ZA, AVG, run CC regularly, defrag discs.
Any suggestions as to causes, solutions?

skidzy 06:48 16 Apr 07

This appears to be a Zonealarm issue,uninstall Zonealarm/run ccleaner/reboot/reinstall Zonealarm.

Or possibly a driver issue.Check device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks.
Windows key+Pause/hardware/Device manager.

All this may be better done in safemode,Tapping F8 on startup will get you into safemode.

Though firstly once into safemode,select Last Known Good Configuration and then boot into windows.

newman35 07:29 16 Apr 07

Thanks, will try your suggestions, may take some time, I'm a relative novice.
But did have a bit of bother updating ZA (free) a little while back, at the moment it's 7.0.303.000

newman35 08:19 16 Apr 07

Followed your instructions, no yellow exclamations in Device Manager, so uninstalled ZA, ran CC, and reinstalled ZA.
Will now just have to wait and see if it did the trick, as the 'physical dump' only occurred randomly (it seemed) over a couple of weeks.
Many thanks again, skidzy. Will tick as resolved - and hope!!

laurie53 08:56 16 Apr 07

Definitely Zone Alarm. I had to uninstall the latest version and go back to a previous one.

Curiously it only happened on my desktop, not my laptop.

Annoying because it gave me a faulty memory message, and I bought and installed new memory which I didn't really need

Laurie

newman35 09:28 16 Apr 07

'Resolved' too soon, just 'dumped' me again.
Not even 0nline at the time, was opening a folder that I use regularly (for years!).

Laurie53 - I still have a copy of a previous ZA, 65.737.000, would the 'protection' still be sufficient? I know very little about these matters and assumed you must update to keep the level of protection high?
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…