squeezing most from Dell Dimension 4550

Muergo 01:08 27 Jul 09

I have or am in the process of upgrading this PC to 1Gb memory (max) and 4550 graphics card, what more do I need to do so I can run my cheap Windows 7 in October?
I have enough hard drive capacity as all my many photos are moved to an external hard drive, so only use C Drive for running usual tasks.
I don't do any gaming at all.
I ran and printed out a 160 page report on it from heavens knows where, I just left it to spew out all the info.
What specific parameters should I home in on and what target values are required when I buy the bundle.

ambra4 04:56 27 Jul 09

The biggest problem that you will have to upgrade the Dell Dimension 4550 from

Windows XP to Windows 7 would be the Windows 7 Drivers as the 4550 was sold

before Vista was released

Windows 7 OS is base around Vista

1GB of memory is the minimum amount for Windows 7 so you could find that the

computer is running slow and some of the hardware not working

Dell Dimension 4550 Drivers Downloads Vista not listed

click here

Personal I would do a dual boot system XP & Windows 7 run for a few months and see if

all the software an hardware you want to install is working before you change totally to

Windows 7

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP

click here

Take a read at these sites it will help to get you started using win7

Windows 7 guide: Installation

click here

Windows 7 Forums has lots of Information and Tweak on Win7

click here

‘Windows 7’ Tweaks

click here

Enjoy

Muergo 09:32 27 Jul 09

Thank you ambra4 for your comprehensive reply.

I have pre-bought the full Windows7, not an upgrade from Vista.

I want to take a look at revamping the Dimension as far as possible, to make it virtually a new model.
Bearing in mind that with Dell's latest offer the purchase of a new one is about £500, that gives me a fair amount of leeway to spend say, up to £200 on equipping the current shell with upgraded parts, giving it another three years life.
Emphasising again that I am not into gaming, I want a versatile home machine capable of running Windows 7 for e-mail, photography, and coordinating with my existing Photo printer, separate scanner, external burner and to plug in camera and phone as I do at present, one external drive backing up, and another external drive solely for storing my thousands of photos, both of these I disconnect if needed.

I envisaged that I would back up all important records and photos prior to wiping everything clean and starting afresh with a new CPU, motherboard, more memory - whatever is needed, costing about £200.

xania 15:21 27 Jul 09

You may find this useful:

click here

click here

Muergo 18:21 27 Jul 09

Thank you Xania for those useful links, I am about to instal the new cards I have bought and will run a test after that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now