a squared free

awest3 13:05 22 Jul 10

I've just updated a2 which worked ok but then gave me a choice of using emsisoft antimalware or another Emsisoft product when I tried to use it..There appears to be no option to continue using A2 free....am I missing something. I've looked at other posts and they seem to offer A2 free forever..etc...but even in the 'click here' sites I cant seem to find it...

Sea Urchin 13:45 22 Jul 10

Also happened to me recently. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled from click here

and so far it has not reinstalled that particular "update".

awest3 14:41 22 Jul 10

Thanks I'll give it a go...

cocteau48 15:18 22 Jul 10

Beginning to look as though it is the end of the line for A Squared Free.

The option to install A2 Antimalware (which I cannot see how you can avoid the update prompt - unless you just do not update at all) does mention a new freeware mode but I cannot find it.

Between the ever increasing size of their update download - and the fact that it was forever throwing up false positives ..... maybe its no great loss!

johndrew 15:40 22 Jul 10

I must admit I uninstalled it some time ago as it was causing various problems including complete downloads of the program during normal updates.

It is a shame as it was a good piece of software until it was updated and 'improved'.

awest3 16:14 22 Jul 10

I'm afraid even uninstalling it and reinstalling, it immediately asked the same question....a shame but its bye bye A squared..now what to replace it with..?

rawprawn 17:14 22 Jul 10

Malwarebytes perhaps.
I have just had problems after updating (and swtching to) so I have uninstalled it.
I am now using SAS Pro version and KIS 2011, I think that will suffice.

awest3 18:03 22 Jul 10

Yep. I use Malwarebytes and superantispyware I suppose these along with MSe will do the job ok...but I did like the depth that Asquared went to..it could usually find things the others missed..may have been false positives I guess but hay ho..

Thanks again..

cocteau48 22:02 22 Jul 10

Check out this page:click here

....especially the section under "new freeware mode" which states:

"Emsisoft Anti-Malware can now still be used in a restricted form once a license has expired. The limitations of the free version are basically the same as those of the current "a-squared Free" product. The scanner and cleaning functions are available but all protection functions are disabled in Freeware mode."

What is unclear here is that - is this available only to those who have a previously purchased,and now expired, license - or - is it available to those who opt for the trial period and the freeware version kicks in once the trial period has expired.

Sea Urchin 23:26 22 Jul 10

Further to my earlier post I updated A Squared this evening - and immediately had "the update". I decided to install the anti-malware which automatically removed A Squared - which then asked me "why I wished to uninstall it".

I then tried to open the new program - and it came up with "major error-program cannot be run".

I've now given up on Emisoft for good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…