SQL Server not found in Win2K

Heefie 09:22 13 Feb 03

I'm using Windows 2000 & Microsoft Office 2000 plus I have Visual Enterprise 6.0 installed ... as far as I know ALL the latest available upgrades are installed ... however, I must point out that whilst I have been using PCs for donkey’s years and I’m an experienced IT professional, VB & Access are very low on my evolutionary scale s> !!!

I have never come across a problem like this whilst using Windows 95, 98 or ME & am wondering if it's because Win2K is based on NT & I therefore need to set up extra details and/or links.

I've been looking in a VB6 book that I've got & it seems to insinuate I need to add the SQL server ... the ODBC Data Source Administrator lists dBASE Files, dBase files - Word, DeluxeCD, ExcelFiles, FoxPro Files - Word, MS Access Database, Visual FoxPro Database and Visual FoxPro Tables but nothing about SQL at all ...

In User DSN I click ADD & choose SQL Server.The only option I get in the drop down menu for "Which SQL Server do you wish to connect to ?" is (local), so I choose that and click NEXT ...

It then asks "How should SQL Server verify the authenticity of the login ID ?" So I leave it on Windows NT as opposed to user & password. I click NEXT and get the following :

Connection Failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 2
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named
Pipes]ConnectionOpen(CreateFile()).
Connection Failed:
SQLState: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 6
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not found

I am trying to do something fairly simple really; interrogate a TXT file and print some details from it in a structured format. After looking at Internet examples and through my VB6 manual it seemed like there was a lot of work to be done just Opening and Closing files ...some of the Internet examples said to use Access as it was easier ... it may be, if I can get it to work !!!

I haven’t written or attempted to write or use any SQL code, but I have used the Dropdown option in macro design within Access to “DeleteObject” & then “TransferText”, in the hope that I can delete a Table & then re-create it … maybe this incorporates some SQL, I don’t know. However, the table obviously doesn't exist to
delete in the first place, so I try to import the TXT file to it so the Macro can delete it & it's here that the SQL error occurs !!!

I’ve been told that :

“Office 2000 and Visual Enterprise will have installed odbc drivers as part of their installation routines. Visual Enterprise will also have installed Jet ISAM drivers as well. SQL server is a component of MS Back Office and from your description I woudln't think that you have it installed locally”

But I can’t find anything obvious on any of my CDs about specifically installing SQL …

Any help greatly appreciated !!!

Gary Heath

recap 09:58 13 Feb 03

click here it may give you some ideas on how to sort your problem?

there are a lot more on this if you copy and paste either: "Connection Failed: SQLState: '01000' SQL Server Error: 2 or Connection Failed: SQLState: '08001' SQL Server Error: 6" into Google search.

hope that is of some help?

Heefie 18:28 14 Feb 03

Thanks for that, it's helped a little bit and I seem to be a step further on but am still having trouble understanding about the Server name and how it interracts with an individual database !!!

recap 13:32 15 Feb 03

You said "having trouble understanding about the Server name and how it interracts with an individual database" Heefie.

Could you explain more about what you do not understand?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…