SpywareBlaster 3.2 installs ok but won't open

Shas 16:44 08 Jul 04

I had been running version 3.1 with no problems at all. Removed it and downloaded v.3.2 today; the download and installation went fine but the programme won't open. I get the message that SpywareBlaster has performed an illegal operation and caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel 32.dll @ 017f:bff886df.

I have defragmented, checked for viruses, run AdAware and Spybot - all clear. I managed to open the programme once in safe mode but as soon as I reboot and try to open normally, I get the above message again. I have also tried to open it with firewall and antivirus disabled, but no luck.

I found a download site which still offered v.3.1 which downloaded, installed and opened ok, but as soon as I tried to get the latest protection update, I was directed to the 3.2 upgrade and back to square one.

Any help would be appreciated. (I'm running Windows 98SE.)

TommyRed 17:09 08 Jul 04

Did you follow the instructions for the removal of 3.1 first? I've just installed the latest version, no problem. Perhaps you can uninstall the previous version as per instructions. Apolgies if you already have. HTH TR

Shas 17:21 08 Jul 04

Hi TommyRed. Were there special instructions to remove it then? I just did it from add/remove on the control panel.

Lionheart ? 17:25 08 Jul 04

Read click here this is the uninstall process suggested for SpywareBlaster

Shas 17:34 08 Jul 04

Yes I did do that, i.e. disabled protection, uninstalled (from control panel > add/remove), then the install went fine but it was when I tried to actually run the programme to re-enable protection, (from any place, i.e. desktop, programmes, start menu), that's when I got the illegal op message. So I'm stumped.

TommyRed 17:48 08 Jul 04

If I remember after I insalled it I tried to enable the protection but found I had to move on through the 'next' button and do it later. Don't know if this'll help. TR

Shas 08:08 09 Jul 04

Thanks TR, but my problem is that I can't even open the programme up, let alone get to the enable protection stage. I will try again in safe mode and see how far I can get with it that way. Thanks again.

Shas 10:57 09 Jul 04

According to spywareblaster's own forum this seems to be a problem some people with 98-based systems are experiencing, (even though prior to release it tested ok apparently), and the guy at javacool is working on it.

woodt 11:00 09 Jul 04

After Uninstalling using ADD/Remove programs make sure SpywareBlaster Folder is deleted from the Programs File folder. Also if you have some form of Reg Mechanic type program then run that before reinstalling SpywareBlaster.

Shas 11:42 09 Jul 04

Thanks woodt, have just tried all your suggestions but no change.

The guy at javacool said he found it interesting that it opens in safe mode ok and on their own forum he's asked for any other people having the problem to see if they can open it in safe mode as well. Still waiting for him to come back.

woodt 13:40 09 Jul 04

OK, guess I'll hang on before updating my version of SB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…