bazza2 13:03 21 May 04

This may seem like a silly question. but here I go.

I have installed Spywareblaster on my PC, and ensured that it is up-to-date, but from what I understand the application does not need to be running for me to be 'protected'.
So how does it stop the spyware from getting on my PC, if it's not running?

I'm very confused.

Belatucadrus 13:27 21 May 04

Open Spywareblaster and click on the "?" at the top right hand of the main window, this opens the documentation that will give a much better answer than the forum has space for.
In short it knowns how how various spyware items work and sets killbits that prevent it being installed in the firstplace.

spuds 13:30 21 May 04

When your computer and internet connection is on, so is SpywareBlaster. It's running silently in the background. The database,if regular updates are added [that's essential], will sort out any nasties that might try to invade your computer.

Keep regular [daily] checks for updates, download them, sit back and relax, and let SpywareBlaster do its job.It's a good piece of kit, being free is even better.

Would suggest that you run SpywareBlaster in conjunction with SpyBot and/or Adaware, if you haven't already installed these.A good threesome combination.SpywareBlaster tries to prevent and SpyBot,Adaware cleans up any remnants.

Stuartli 13:31 21 May 04

Programs can run in the background, otherwise you Desktop or screen would be a mass of information...:-)

bazza2 14:15 21 May 04

I shall look into the other 2 aswell.

bazza2 14:31 21 May 04

I have had a quick peek at both Spybot and Adaware, and they seem to do much the same thing.
Am I correct in making this assumption, or are they performing different checks?

bazza2 15:42 21 May 04

_funkydude_ 15:53 21 May 04

No you are not bazza2 Ad-Aware and spybot both scan for spyware, adware etc.

Spywareblaster does not scan anything. It just stops cartain types of spyware from being installed on your computer. It now also stops tracking cookies from being installed on your computer so you cant be tracked on what websites you visit. But Spybot does have an integrated "immunizer" which is pretty much the same thing as spywareblaster. Still, make sure you are immunized by spybot if you have it.

bazza2 15:56 21 May 04

I should have phrased that better.

What I meant to say is do Spybot and Adaware do the same thing, NOT do they do the same thing as Spywareblaster.

Do I need both Adaware and Spybot??

_funkydude_ 15:59 21 May 04

I have both on my pc, they do similar jobs but they have different librarys. So Spybot might find something that ad-aware will not and vice versa.

bazza2 16:04 21 May 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…