spyware/adware - free software?

pookie 12:04 10 Feb 04

hi - sorry if this has been covered.
i have avg anti-virus which i check for updates everyday.
i have been reading about spyware and adware that may be lurking and that a very high % of machines have these without detection.
is there any free, easy to use, programs that detect and remove spyware or adware? do i need to worry about these?

many thanks

P

ianeon 12:09 10 Feb 04

Try "Spybot", "spywareblaster" and "Ad-aware6" All free and all quite good. Feed the names into Google and you will get a good address for them

LeadingMNMs 12:11 10 Feb 04

I use and recommend Ad-Aware click here

Indigo 1 12:52 10 Feb 04

Use both Ad-Aware and SpyBot Search and destroy to scan completely (what one program misses the other one gets).

Also SpywareBlaster to stop them getting in.

click here

click here

click here

pookie 13:15 10 Feb 04

many thanks to all

P

bloo meeny 17:09 10 Feb 04

^

Proxy Worm 17:13 10 Feb 04

I use the ones stated above- work like a charm!

pookie 08:23 11 Feb 04

hi - just as an update - ran ad aware and i had 5 little beasties on my pc - i got rid of these. out of coincidence i downloaded advanced uninstaller 6 the day before. one option was to check and fix corrupt registry items - when i ran this it showed that i had many ranging from light to severe. i didn't do anything with them. but when i removed the ad aware nasties and then ran ad uninstall regisrty cleaner/fixer the reg cleaner/fixer didn't detect anything

P

Benito 10:05 21 Feb 04

Highly recommend downloading all three.
Worked wonders for me.

Indigo 1 10:11 21 Feb 04

It's incredible just how many of these bit's and pieces build up in a PC over time and the problems they cause can be very severe.

It's worth spending a few minutes a month just cleaning them out. It's a good idea to defrag afterwards too .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…