Spyware/Adware

Peants68 19:25 02 Feb 08

I have two programmes installed, Uniblue Spyware and AdwareAlert.

What is the difference between them and do I need both?

Could someone kindly explain.

Technotiger 19:38 02 Feb 08

I am not familiar with either of those two programs, but it does not hurt to have more than one Spyware/Ad-Aware type of program - one program may find some nasties that the other one misses. But, never have more then one Anti-virus program, otherwise they will clash and cause problems.

RobCharles1981 19:40 02 Feb 08

I myself haven't heard of them, maybe others have or haven't but they don't sound to right to me.

Maybe you can consider uninstalling what you got and head on over to click here and download a few of Antisypware on that site.

p;3 19:41 02 Feb 08

this is what google has to say click here
click here

did you knowingly download these?
with respect it is very unwise to install any program that you do not know or have not taken advise on

for your safety you should know what each main program on your computer does

what other protection programs have you got on there?what is your Windows version and your antivirus ?

mfletch 19:44 02 Feb 08

Hi,

I do not use any of those but you can have more than one Antispyware programs,

In fact it is a good idea to have more than one,

Each scanner will pick items that others will not,

I use,

Superantispyware

Asquared

AVG

Spy sweeper

And that is the short list,

mfletch

Technotiger 19:49 02 Feb 08
  peter99co 21:40 02 Feb 08

At the right side of this posting is an advert for this. Is this an unsafe site based on this conversation?

Peants68 22:11 02 Feb 08

Wow, What a response ! It will give me plenty to try and explains a lot. Seems I have wasted a bit of money. Presently I have Kapersky as AV (uninstalled Bit Defender Internet Suite 2008 - didn't like it).

What is the general opinion on Kapersky AV. Should I keep it?

I am puzzled by suggestions of the free stuff - surely these programmes keep telling you to upgrade and do they cover the most recent spyware etc if free?

Great response.

Thanks again.

peter99co 22:26 02 Feb 08

Some years ago I downloaded some adware software and it offered a free scan and loe and behold found a trojan a keylogger and a couple of other bits and to remove them wanted $29 What a scam.
I did a search and removed them myself from the places that the software had put them.I then found that this is a common factor with these FREE offers. You don't often get ought for nought.

Technotiger 22:34 02 Feb 08

Peants68

Sat, [email protected]:16

Thanks for the great response.

Do the free programmes have the disadvantage of asking every five minutes to upgrade and do they cover the latest spyware etc for free?

Sat, [email protected]:28

Generally speaking ...

First part of your question = No!
Second part = Yes, and of course you get regular updates.

Sat, [email protected]:29

PS - you should have put your comments in your Original Post for all to see.

pac73 23:17 02 Feb 08

Before you buy,or try any antispyware have a look to see if there on this site.click here.

If they are,DONT install them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…