Spyware - what do I do?

Monkeyface 21:36 14 Oct 04

I think I have some Spyware installed on my computer. Basically, whenever I log on to any Microsoft site (msn, hotmail, microsoft.com) it automatically redirects me to an about:blank page, and lots of pop-ups appear, all seemingly related to spyware.

I've installed and run Spybot, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Does anyone have any advice?

stalion 21:42 14 Oct 04

run adaware and install spywareblaster
click here
click here

VoG II 21:44 14 Oct 04

Please post a Hijackthis log click here

You will need to post the log in two or more "chunks" because of the 800 word per post limit on this site. Also, please double space it by adding a blank line after each line of data.

VoG II 21:46 14 Oct 04

You can try running Ad-aware click here in Safe Mode click here

Download Ad-aware, update it, go into Safe Mode and run a scan.

If that doesn't clear it, please post a HJT log as above.

Monkeyface 21:48 14 Oct 04

Thank you, I'll give those a go.

Monkeyface 21:49 14 Oct 04

By the way, this might be an extremely silly question, but what is a HijackThis log? I've never heard of it.

VoG II 21:55 14 Oct 04

Hijackthis is a tool that lists all installed browser add-ons, buttons and startup items.

An expert, such as Nellie2, can decipher this and tell you what items to "fix" using HJT.

I can have a go at the easy ones but about:blank can be awkward to get rid of. If you have one of the more benign variants then Ad-aware in Safe Mode may fix it.

stalion 21:56 14 Oct 04

it shows a list of all the running processes on your computer so that helpers can have a look for anything that is causing your problem

Monkeyface 22:37 14 Oct 04

OK, I've tried AdAware running in safe mode - no joy. Time to give HijackThis a go?

What do I do, run the programme and post a log of what it finds?

curlylad 01:50 15 Oct 04

I would also try a² personal click here

Djohn 02:09 15 Oct 04

Who will assist you in checking your file. Your file will be created in notepad. Copy and paste the results into the message box of this forum but take the time to hit the enter key at the end of each line to space it out so that it is easy to read. You may need to make two post to the thread because of the 800 word limit, so post it in two sections roughly equal in size. dj.

Unzip/extract to a new folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.

Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy and paste its contents into a post here.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Someone here will help you analyze the results.

With ME and XP simply right click the zipped folder, select Extract All, this will create a folder Hijackthis, inside will be Hijackthis.exe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…