Spyware warning

DAKAR 23:16 26 Mar 09

Hi all
I am posting this on behalf of my son in law
This evening we went over to their house and he told me the tale with his computer
He had a message saying that his anti virus was out of date and he must click here to update so he did(when I asked him if he had the anti virus programme loaded he said no and I then asked why did you then want to update something you aint got)He has AVG 8 loaded.
Now he cannot get on the internet and he has a message in a big square box and it says
DANGEROUS SPYWARE
MANY VIRUSES WERE FOUND ON YOUR COMPUTER SUCH AS TROJAN HORSE PASSCAPTURE ETC.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION CAN FALL INTO IN THE THIRD HAND
PLEASE CHECK UP THE COMPUTER WITH A SPECIAL SOFTWARE
THANK
No the above are not my typing mistakes it is exactly what it says
Please advise as to what he can do
Thanks a lot as usual
Dakar

Sea Urchin 23:58 26 Mar 09

As you have surmised his computer has caught a particularly nasty infection. As he can no longer get onto the Internet someone will need to download SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes onto a flash drive, so that he can install them on his machine. He should then run them (one at a time) in Safe Mode and remove all that is found.

click here
click here

Sea Urchin 23:58 26 Mar 09

PS - Use Free Trial Version of Malwarebytes

hiwatt 10:05 27 Mar 09

If the flash drive isn't an option while booting up the computer tap f8 continuously and when you get to the "menu" choose "safe mode with networking" this might get you on to the internet where you can download the links Sea Urchin provided above.

emily3543 12:54 27 Mar 09

Your system has been got infected.
1)Now have to update your anti virus definition first.
2)after that unplug the internet connection.
3)now run anti virus full scan on your system.
4)remove unnecessary program form your start up program.
6)after that restart the computer in normal mode.

Sea Urchin 13:03 27 Mar 09

He doesn't have an Internet connection so unfortunately could not run an update.

mfletch 13:07 27 Mar 09

Here is another option and the one I would use as the download will be fully up to date,

Get someone to download this for you then load it onto a CD then load it to your sons computer once its on the computer you just double click on the download and do a scan

DrWeb {its free}

click here

DAKAR 17:50 28 Mar 09

Hi all
Thanks to all for the advice
Sea Urchin I am going to download the programmes on to a flash drive this evening do I get the free trial version of Malwarebytes on the flash drive? I presume there is a programme to buy and that is why you have suggested the freeby
Sorry to be a no brainer but do I load the programmes into his computer in normal windows and then run them in safe mode or load them in safe mode and run in safe mode
Thanks
regards
Dakar

Sea Urchin 18:17 28 Mar 09

On the link I provided there are two options shown - download free trial version OR Buy Now. So download the first of these (the free one).

Install them on his PC in normal mode. There was a thread on this forum yesterday (can't find it now) which demonstrated that Malwarebytes only runs fully in Normal Mode so try to run like that if the malware will allow it. If not try in safe mode - better than not running it. SuperAntiSpyware can be run in safe mode.

Good luck :@)

This link shows removal instructions for another malware infection called AntiVirusXP 2008 - but if you read it through it will give you a good idea as to how to use Malwarebytes

click here

DAKAR 21:50 28 Mar 09

Thanks Sea Urchin
I'll keep you updated
Rgards
Dakar

DAKAR 21:56 31 Mar 09

Hi Sea Urchin
I have been trying to load both the programmes this evening on son in laws computer on selecting the F drive I can see both programmes but when I click on super anti virus it tells me it has encountered a problem and must shut down,and when clicking on Mbam nothing happens,yet when I tried it on his lap top both programmes loaded and ran
I have tried in safe and normal windows
Is there something else I can try to get it running
Regards
Dakar

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac