Spyware Terminator working?

algernonymous 11:18 06 Mar 07

I've just installed Spyware Terminator as I read that unlike Adaware and Spybot it scans continuously, however the icon in the tray shows a greyed out shield with a red cross on it. Does this mean it isn't running?

Thanks,
Al.

Stuartli 11:23 06 Mar 07

Have you configured ST to do as you require?

algernonymous 11:39 06 Mar 07

Going through the installer I left everything to default. The Help section instructs you to click on the 'real-time protection tab' and gives a screenshot but I can't find it on the 'ST center' ?

algernonymous 11:41 06 Mar 07

Should I have integrated WinClamAVShield into ST?

Belatucadrus 11:53 06 Mar 07

Don't bother with Clam AV. To get at the real time settings console, click on the Shield icon at the top right, between the Magnifying glass and the cog wheel, then click on the settings button to the left and tick "Use real-time protection". It should tell you it'll need to run a full scan before it activates, let it do it and you can then tweak the assorted shield components to your hearts content. I've got the lot ticked, it gets a bit obtrusive when installing new software, but I can live with it.

algernonymous 12:06 06 Mar 07

There isn't a shield! All I've got is:
Spyware scan (magnifying glass);
Scheduler (ditto with clock over it);
Settings (cog);
Help (i).

OOPS! Just found the answer in Faq:-

Real-time protection only works with Win2000 and above.
I'm still on 98se...!

SB23 12:09 06 Mar 07

I've just deleted it from my system because of similar thoughts.
Last week I ran a pc test to test my security, and Windows defender popped up saying that it had noticed something trying to gain access (or something like that) while the scan was running. I then read about Defender only spotting a low percentage of malware etc, so off it came to put Spyware Terminator on.
When I ran the same scan nothing happened, Spyware Terminator just sat there doing nothing, I opened up the program, nothing had been logged, no sign of anything.
So, for now, I'm sticking with Windows Defender, I know that it works, its saved my system a few times.

Steve

Stuartli 13:43 06 Mar 07

Spyware Terminator works fine for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac