Spyware terminator prompts(Microsoft)

hiwatt 10:18 06 Dec 08

Hi folks,when I boot my computer up this morning I had LOADS(about 100)of prompts asking me to allow/block files.They all related to microsoft c:\windows\system32.Some examples are DNSAPI.DLL,NTDLL.DLL,KERNEL32.DLL AND JSPROXY.DLL.It's still happening as I type.I allowed them all as they belong to microsoft but this has never happened to me before.Did anyone else experience this?Thanks

johndrew 11:57 06 Dec 08

When you update the Real Time Shield or Resident in either Spyware Terminator or Spybot S&D it makes changes that your security will want you to agree to. I run both Windows Defender and WinPatrol that pick up these changes and, generally, permit a single click acceptance or rejection.

spuds 12:31 06 Dec 08

I use Spyware Terminator, and have done for ages. Never found any problems with it, and regard it as a reliable and solid product.

Would ask if you have done any recent computer clean-up operations of late?.

Belatucadrus 12:47 06 Dec 08

Assuming you're using XP, have you recently has Service Pack 3 added ?

hiwatt 13:47 06 Dec 08

Hi folks.No I've had service pack 3 installed for a while now.I've had spyware terminator installed for a long time now.I'm being prompted constantly to allow/block things today.As I say most are relating to microsoft and sysem 32.I haven't changed anything on my computer?

hiwatt 13:51 06 Dec 08

I just done a test there.I clicked on the winpatrol icon to open it and was asked by ST to allow/block then I was asked to allow/block UXTHEME.DLL.It seems that ST is blocking ANY application that want's to run.There goes another one for KERNEL32.DLL?

bluto1 21:18 06 Dec 08

Something may have caused a corruption so I'd recommend an uninstall and reinstall.

hiwatt 21:51 06 Dec 08

Yes I was thinking in going down that route.Although I looked in realtime protection settings and there was something under "blocked" that I hadn't blocked.I deleted it and the prompts stopped.I'll see how it goes and report back.Thanks.

hiwatt 13:27 08 Dec 08

This seems to be ok now.It must have been the software distribution\setup\servicesstartup\wups.dll that somehow were under blocked in realtime/applications.Anyway I deleted it and it seems fine now.Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos