Spyware spyware everywhere...please help!

CarolinaChiquita 15:41 12 Jul 05

I posted this on another forum and they posted me in the direction of this one!!...Can anyone help?

"Can anyone point me in the direction of a person (or forum) that can help with spyware?

My brother has been downloading roms for his emulator (so he says ;) )and I think he has gotten it from a warez site as all sorts of magic has been happening to the pc ever since!

We are getting a surfya! icon on the desktop that likes to change the homepage...another icon on the desktop called temp532 - I have no clue what this does...and an abundance of pop ups. Oh we had a toolbar at one point as well but I managed to uninstall that but no doubt it is still hovering somewhere.

I have run adaware and spybot search and destroy...they find things and get rid of them but the problem doesn't go away. I have Hijack this but don't understand the log so I don't know what to delete or not delete.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

We have XP if that helps"

Can anyone suggest something useful?

Stuartli 15:48 12 Jul 05

Try this website for a start if you know the details of the spyware:

click here

Visiting a Anti-Virus program producer's website such as click here will also provide guides on how to get rid of them.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:51 12 Jul 05

MS Antispy download and run after turning off system restore. You must turn sys restore off or else they will keep returning. You can then scan with adaware and spybot. You should also delete ALL the files in C/Windows/Prefetch. click here

This should clear nearly all if not all. Turn on system restore afterwards and tell him to lay off warez and Pr0n sites;-)))

Stuartli 15:51 12 Jul 05

Presumably your brother does use an AV program such as AVG7 Free or, even better Avast, as it updates itself?

click here and click here respectively.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:53 12 Jul 05

You need to download Ccleaner from click here, run it and delete ALL it finds. I fnd that doing all this clears all spyware without HJT logs.

chris05 15:54 12 Jul 05

try here click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:54 12 Jul 05

ps..whilst AV progs are a necessity, if you run a programme it will get past them as many of the 'helpers' are not classed as viruses.

Gandalf is one of the best advisors I have met on this forum & I have been visiting for some years. Follow his advice visit click here for a housecall

Nellie2 19:25 12 Jul 05

Carolina.. did you manage to solve your problem?

stalion 19:43 12 Jul 05

if your problem is not resolved,run hijack this and post the log on this forum
click here

Jackcoms 19:51 12 Jul 05

And don't forget to download, install and run RegSeeker click here

Delete all it finds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…