spyware and register cleaners

highside 15:59 27 Jan 05

Whats going on?
1) I download a free register cleaner and it tells me I have about 1200 invalid registry paths. On examining the list I see they are all files (photos etc) which I have deleted in the past. OK I accept things are still there even if you think they are not but if I now pay to have the cleaner sort things out is it going to properly rid me of these files or restore things which I dont want?

2) I downloaded 3 spyware type seekers, they all show something different! Have I got to come up with 3 lots of money to cover everything? ie they find but do not repair free? Is it worth the hassle have I got anything the spies want anyway?

johnnyrocker 16:02 27 Jan 05

adaware spybot spyware blaster all free at click here prob find a free reg cleaner too

johnny.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:05 27 Jan 05

click here click here and regseeker from click here Use these three, delete all they find and you will have no more problems. They are all safe, free and easy to use.

Gongoozler 16:11 27 Jan 05

You don't need to pay for registry cleaning or spyware removal (or antivirus). These online facilities that try to charge you are just cons. To clean your registry download Regseeker click here. You don't have to install this software, just unzip it to wherever you want to run it from and double click regseeker.exe. Click on "Clean the registry" and OK. Make sure there is a tick in the box for "Backup before deletion". The program will find hundreds of unneeded entries just like your other scan did. Those coloured green are definitely safe to remove. Those coloured red are "probably" safe to remove. I've never had any problems deleting them all. If at a later date you find a problem, you can restore all the entries from the backup.

For adware, download and install AdAware click here. This is completely free. The paid-for scams are often just slightly disguised copies of AdAware or Spybot SD (the other excellent free adware remover).

Gongoozler 16:14 27 Jan 05

Your last question "Is it worth the hassle have I got anything the spies want anyway?". Even if you don't have anything these adware spies want, they will put software and registry changes on your computer that can do a lot of damage. Run AdAware at least once a week, and don't forget to update the definitions regularly.

Gongoozler 16:23 27 Jan 05

A final (I think) contribution. Your downloaded free register cleaner tells you that you have about 1200 invalid registry paths.to files (photos etc) which you have deleted in the past. These registry entries are just that, i.e. paths to the photos etc. You have removed the photos but the registry still remembers where they were. These registry entries are doing no harm, but removing them is good housekeeping.

Another useful free cleanup program is Ccleaner click here. This aggressive little program will purge all your temp files, temporary internet files etc. Don't use it too often or you will find yourself constantly having to rebuild your saved form information etc, but the occasional purge will definitely remove a load of unwanted clutter.

VCR97 19:32 27 Jan 05

For info on anti-spyware outfits see click here before you buy.

highside 20:01 27 Jan 05

Thanks for all your help. Have sorted registry to Gongoozlers instuctions OK

Gongoozler 07:30 28 Jan 05

I'm pleased your registry cleaning went well. If you want to add Regseeker to your Start menu, this is how I did it. Find regseeker.exe. Right click on it and select Send To - Desktop (create shortcut). Now in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and drag the Regseeker shortcut from the deskop to that location.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…