Spyware programs

Tony W. 08:49 21 Feb 10

I have Superantispyware and Malwarebytes installed suddenly I cannot update either program each time an attempt is made I get an error message saying unable to connect to server check your firewall or proxy settings.Also I cannot access any of the two sites by clicking on previously listed links in the PCA Forum.I have never made any changes to my Firewall settings.If anybody can suggest a solution I would be grateful.

birdface 09:05 21 Feb 10

Run your security programs in safe mode.

[just keep tapping G8 as the computer starts.]

birdface 09:08 21 Feb 10

Sorry that should be F8.
Looks like you may have picked up a Virus so i would run your security programs to see if they find anything,
I would start with Malwarebytes.

Tony W. 09:12 21 Feb 10

Buteman

Thanks for your quick reply.Just to confirm I start the computer in safe mode and then run Malwarbytes and then Superantispyware.Thanks.

birdface 09:30 21 Feb 10

Yes that will do it.
it is possible they will not be allowed to run if so you know that you have problems.let us know how you get on.
if malwarebytes finds anything you may not need to run superantispyware.

birdface 09:39 21 Feb 10

It might also help if you try updating both of those programs with your Firewall turned off Just to see if it may be a Firewall problem.

Tony W. 10:42 21 Feb 10

Buteman.

OK thanks I will try the update process as you suggest without the firewall.

The Malwarebytes scan is now running on my desktop computer in safe mode.I will report back with the result.Thanks.Tony.

Tony W. 11:08 21 Feb 10

Hello Buteman

Malwarebytes scan now finished four items were found and have now been removed.

That did the trick and I can now update the programs succesfully.Thanks a million.Really grateful for your help.

I did have another question and that was how do I get back to normal mode but after the system restart it automatically started up again in normal mode.
Thanks again.Have a good day you deserve it.Tony

birdface 11:28 21 Feb 10

Hi once you have updated Malwarebytes give it another run in safe mode just to make sure it is all clear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5